Waves and light (problem solving)

In summary: Since you have the shortest wavelength, you have to use the first odd multiple of λ/2, which is λ/2. So λ/2 = 10cm. λ = 20cm.In summary, two speakers located on an east-west line, 30cm apart, emit sound toward the north with exactly the same frequency and always in phase. A microphone, located 40cm due north of one speaker, will experience the least intensity when the wavelength of the sound is 20cm. This is because the path length difference from each speaker to the microphone is 10cm, which is equal to λ/2 and results in destructive interference.
lemin_rew

Homework Statement

two speakers producing exactly the same frequency and always in phase are located on an east-west line emitting sound toward the north. the speakers are 30cm apart and a microphone is loacted 40cm due north of one speaker. which of the following wavelengths would produce sound with the intensity at the locations of the microphone?

Homework Equations

Xn/L = (n-1/2)λ/d

or

Δx/L = λ/d

The Attempt at a Solution

i know d=30cm
L=40cm
and n=2
but i don't know where to get Xn (if that is the proper equation to use for this question)

also the answer is 20cm
please help me, i have no idea how to solve this question to get that answer.
thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you looking for constructive or destructive interference? (Most intensity or least intensity?) What wavelengths did they give?

Doc Al said:
Are you looking for constructive or destructive interference? (Most intensity or least intensity?) What wavelengths did they give?

the question i posted above are the only information given to me:
i beieve they are looking for the least intensity at the location of the microphone?

lemin_rew said:
the question i posted above are the only information given to me:
i beieve they are looking for the least intensity at the location of the microphone?
OK, so do you want destructive or constructive interference? And what's the criteria for each?

Hint: You must compare the path lengths from each speaker to the microphone.

(When I read "which of the following..." I can only assume they gave you a list of choices.)

Doc Al said:
OK, so do you want destructive or constructive interference? And what's the criteria for each?

(When I read "which of the following..." I can only assume they gave you a list of choices.)

oh yeah sorry, i forgot to add the options:
a)5.0cm
b)1.0cm
c)20cm
d)30cm
e)40cm

and the answer is 20cm

Good. Now answer my questions:
Doc Al said:

What's the difference in the path lengths from each speaker to the microphone? How does that path length difference relate to phase?

Doc Al said:
Good. Now answer my questions:

What's the difference in the path lengths from each speaker to the microphone? How does that path length difference relate to phase?

so one speaker to the microphone is 40cm
and to the other it is (40^2-30^2 = 700^(1/2) = 26.4cm?)
then the path difference is 40cm - 26.4cm =13.5cm?
is this right?

lemin_rew said:
so one speaker to the microphone is 40cm
Right.
and to the other it is (40^2-30^2 = 700^(1/2) = 26.4cm?)
No. The distance from the other speaker to the microphone is the hypotenuse of a right triangle. (Draw yourself a diagram.)

Doc Al said:
Right.

No. The distance from the other speaker to the microphone is the hypotenuse of a right triangle. (Draw yourself a diagram.)

oh yeah sorry,
so its 50cm for the other speaker
so the difference in path is 50-40=10cm

then 10cm = (n-1/2)wavelength
and n = 1 therefore the answer becomes 20cm

is this right? thank you so much

Last edited:
lemin_rew said:
oh yeah sorry,
so its 50cm for the other speaker
so the difference in path is 50-40=10cm

then 10cm = (n-1/2)wavelength
and n = 1 therefore the answer becomes 20cm

is this right? thank you so much
Exactly right.

To get destructive interference, that path length difference must be an odd multiple of λ/2.

1. What are some common properties of waves?

Some common properties of waves include amplitude, wavelength, frequency, and speed. Amplitude measures the maximum displacement of a wave from its resting position. Wavelength is the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of a wave. Frequency is the number of waves that pass a given point in a certain amount of time. Speed is the rate at which a wave travels through a medium.

2. How does light travel through space?

Light travels through space in the form of electromagnetic waves. These waves do not require a medium to travel through, unlike sound waves. The speed of light in a vacuum is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

3. What is the difference between reflection and refraction?

Reflection occurs when a wave bounces off a surface, such as a mirror. The angle of incidence (incoming angle) is equal to the angle of reflection (outgoing angle). Refraction, on the other hand, is the bending of a wave as it passes through a different medium. The amount of bending depends on the density and composition of the medium.

4. How are the colors of the rainbow formed?

The colors of the rainbow - red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet - are formed by the refraction and dispersion of white light through water droplets in the air. Each color has a different wavelength, and when light is refracted and dispersed, the different wavelengths separate and are visible to the human eye.

5. How do we see color?

We see color through the process of absorption and reflection. Objects absorb certain wavelengths of light and reflect others. The reflected wavelengths are then detected by our eyes and interpreted by our brains as different colors. The color we see also depends on the types of cones (color-detecting cells) in our eyes and the intensity of the light hitting the object.