Waves and Sound - Air Column (Clarinet)

In summary, the clarinet has an open end, which affects the available wavelengths of the normal modes that can be played. The length of the clarinet and the main wavelength determine which mode is being played. If the frequency of the sound is higher than 349.2 Hz, the listener will notice the difference.
harujina

Homework Statement

A clarinet behaves as an air column that is open at one end. For a particular fingering, the length of this air column is 24.6 cm. At 20°C, this fingering sounds the pitch "F" which is 349.2 Hz. During a concert, the breath of the musician raises the bore temperature to 27° C. A single percentage change in frequency would be noticeable to any listener. What would this new frequency be and would it be noticeable?

Homework Equations

v = fλ
v (speed of sound) = 331.4 m/s + (0.606 m/s/°C) T

The Attempt at a Solution

I did this to find speed of sound in 20°C: v (speed of sound) = 331.4 m/s + (0.606 m/s/°C) (20°C)
and I got 343.52 Hz, but it's 349.2 Hz in the clarinet (which is open at one end).
I don't understand this concept; why is it 5.7 Hz higher?
Also, in order to calculate the wavelength, I converted 24.6 cm into .246 m but I forgot what to do with this in the case that it is in a medium with an open end. I remember it's like λ/2 or something?

Physics news on Phys.org
The speed of sound in air at 20degC is 343.52m/s ... the frequency of the sound was 349.2Hz - therefore, what was the wavelength?

Simon Bridge said:
The speed of sound in air at 20degC is 343.52m/s ... the frequency of the sound was 349.2Hz - therefore, what was the wavelength?

Ohhh, right...
v = fλ
λ = v/f; = 343.52m/s / 349.2Hz; = 0.98 m?
I thought there was a certain adjustment I had to do for different mediums though? In this case, a clarinet which has one open end.

The medium in question is the air - you do have to adjust the equation for different gas mixtures, but that's unlikely to be an issue here.

The open end, and length, of the clarinet, determines the available wavelengths (the normal modes) that can be excited. The fingering selects from this set of wavelengths by forcing an antinode at particular positions (iirc).

Since you know the length of the air column, and the main wavelength, you can work out which mode is being played.
But you are already told which wavelength has been excited.

Simon Bridge said:
The medium in question is the air - you do have to adjust the equation for different gas mixtures, but that's unlikely to be an issue here.

The open end, and length, of the clarinet, determines the available wavelengths (the normal modes) that can be excited. The fingering selects from this set of wavelengths by forcing an antinode at particular positions (iirc).

Since you know the length of the air column, and the main wavelength, you can work out which mode is being played.
But you are already told which wavelength has been excited.

I'm confused; how could I know how many antinodes there are/what mode it's playing by the length of the clarinet and the wavelength?
Can't it only be either fundamental or third harmonic?

EDIT: Okay I just tried all the possible medium lengths to produce a wave in a media with a fixed end and open end which are λ/4, 3λ/4, and 5λ/4.
So it's λ/4 (fundamental/first harmonic) because 0.98m/4 = 0.245m, which is the length of the air column.
Is this the only way to check though?

And now I know that n=1 (first harmonic) so I used the equation: f = v/4l (length) and found the frequency to be 336.79 Hz at 27° C (with the speed of sound at 347.762 m/s). I hope this is right...?

Last edited:
Is this the only way to check though?
Since you know ##L## and ##\lambda## and you know the formula for the wavelength of the nth mode, you can just solve for n.

I was expecting that the fingering fixes the wavelength - the speed of sound changes from u to v ...

##u=f_1\lambda## and ##v=f_2\lambda##

You can get both u and v off the temperature formula.

Start with the end in mind:
You want to know the percentage change in frequency ... that would be: $$100 \frac{f_2-f_1}{f_1}$$
If you do all the algebra first, you have less work to do.
If that number is bigger than 1, then you will notice the difference.

The problem statement seems to have a lot of redundant information.

Likes 1 person
Simon Bridge said:
Since you know ##L## and ##\lambda## and you know the formula for the wavelength of the nth mode, you can just solve for n.

I was expecting that the fingering fixes the wavelength - the speed of sound changes from u to v ...

##u=f_1\lambda## and ##v=f_2\lambda##

You can get both u and v off the temperature formula.

Start with the end in mind:
You want to know the percentage change in frequency ... that would be: $$100 \frac{f_2-f_1}{f_1}$$
If you do all the algebra first, you have less work to do.
If that number is bigger than 1, then you will notice the difference.

The problem statement seems to have a lot of redundant information.

$$100 \frac{f_2-f_1}{f_2}$$ I thought it was this?
And okay, thank you so much!

Well when you have to do a percentage, you have to ask "percentage of what?"
You are asked to find a percentage change, what is the frequency changing from?

1. What is the difference between a wave and a sound?

A wave is a disturbance that travels through a medium, while sound is the energy created by the movement of particles in a medium. In other words, sound is a type of wave that can be heard by the human ear.

2. How does the length of an air column affect the pitch of a clarinet?

The length of an air column in a clarinet affects the pitch because it determines the wavelength of the sound wave produced. A shorter air column will produce a higher pitch, while a longer air column will produce a lower pitch.

3. How does the shape of a clarinet affect the quality of sound produced?

The shape of a clarinet, specifically the shape of the mouthpiece and the bore, can greatly affect the quality of sound produced. The shape can alter the vibrations of the air column, resulting in changes in tone, volume, and timbre.

4. What is the role of the reed in producing sound in a clarinet?

The reed is a thin piece of cane that is attached to the mouthpiece of a clarinet. When air is blown through the reed, it vibrates and creates a sound wave. The shape and thickness of the reed can also affect the quality of sound produced.

5. How does the air pressure inside a clarinet affect the sound produced?

The air pressure inside a clarinet can greatly affect the sound produced. A higher air pressure can result in a louder and more intense sound, while a lower air pressure can produce a softer and more mellow sound. The player can control the air pressure by adjusting their embouchure and breath support.