Weak Equivalence Principle (WEP)

In summary, the conversation discussed the WEP and its connection to Galileo's observations. The order of arguments that led to the conclusion were outlined, with the final argument being that the gravitational constant was set to equal the inertial and gravitational mass. The conversation also touched on the relationship between gravitational and inertial mass in Newtonian gravity, stating that they are proportional and equal in appropriate units.
dianaj
As most of you probably know, the WEP states that the intertial mass and gravitational mass of any object are equal. This principle has base in Galileo's observations, that all free-falling objects have a constant acceleration. What I would like to get clear is the order of arguments that leads to this conclusion.

My guess is that it went down like this:

We know that
[tex]F = m_i \cdot a[/tex]
We also know that
[tex]F_g = \frac{k \cdot m_g \cdot M}{r^2}[/tex]
where k is a contant yet to be determined. We then have
[tex]m_i \cdot a = m_g \cdot \frac{k \cdot M}{r^2}[/tex]
We observe that a is constant, and therefore that
[tex]m_i \propto m_g[/tex]
Finally we set k = G (gravitational constant), so that [tex]m_i = m_g[/tex]

Am I right? Is this 'the origin' of the value of G?

/Diana

Physics news on Phys.org
the field produced by a massive body depends (by definition) only on its gravitational mass.
the acceleration of a massive body within any given gravitation field depends only on its inertial mass and the strength of that field.

All free falling objects have the same acceleration.

In Newtonian gravity, this is modeled by inertial mass being proportional to gravitational mass by a universal constant. In appropriate units, inertial mass equals gravitational mass.

What is the Weak Equivalence Principle (WEP)?

The Weak Equivalence Principle (WEP) is a fundamental principle of physics that states that the gravitational mass and inertial mass of an object are equivalent. This means that all objects, regardless of their mass or composition, will experience the same acceleration in a gravitational field.

Why is the WEP important?

The WEP is important because it is a cornerstone of general relativity and other theories of gravity. It helps to explain why all objects fall at the same rate in a vacuum and is essential for understanding the behavior of large-scale systems, such as galaxies and the universe.

How is the WEP tested?

The WEP has been tested in numerous experiments, including the famous "feather and hammer" experiment performed by Apollo 15 astronauts on the moon. Scientists also use highly precise instruments, such as torsion balances and interferometers, to measure the acceleration of objects with different masses in a gravitational field.

What are the implications of violating the WEP?

If the WEP were to be violated, it would have significant implications for our understanding of gravity and the laws of physics. It could potentially lead to the development of new theories that could better explain the behavior of objects in gravitational fields.

Are there any exceptions to the WEP?

While the WEP has been extensively tested and found to hold true in all cases, there are some theories that propose exceptions to the principle. These include theories that suggest the existence of a fifth fundamental force or that gravity may behave differently at extremely small scales.