Exploring the Benefits and Uses of SVG in Web Design

• Thread starter dduardo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Poll Web
In summary: I was playing around with computers before windows, mostly playing Jeopardy and writing English papers (that printed on a dot matrix printer). Oh, wait, and there was the Commodore 64, and programming in BASIC to make Mr. Bo Jangles (the stick figure that danced). :biggrin: But, yeah, I think "working" with computers began with Windows 3.11 for me.

What Browser Are You Using?

• Internet Explorer

Votes: 19 32.2%
  • Mozilla Firefox

Votes: 34 57.6%
  • Safari

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • Opera

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.7%

• Total voters
What exactly are some good reasons to switch to Firefox? I've been using IE for years and haven't had a problem, and looking at the Firefox website implies that the only advantages for switching are tabbed browsing and security fixes (and W3C implementation). I already have my handy Google toolbar, so I don't have to worry about popups or searching. IE can be occasionally buggy, but on this machine it isn't too much of a problem (as in I am not trying to smash the computer with a jackhammer). Why change?

If Firefox is as good as other open-source projects like Wikipedia, I'll try it. Even if it matches the accessibility of programs like http://www.trillian.cc (okay, this isn't open-source, but its cool anyway), which is far better than AIM or MSN (but combines the functionable aspects of it and ICQ/IRC/Yahoo).

I'm not just speaking on behalf of myself, but also for the other stubborn IE users out there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
motai said:
I've been using IE for years and haven't had a problem
If that is the case, according to the Firefox Manifesto you must either have been hallucinating or are a member of the owner-class.

hitssquad said:
If that is the case, according to the Firefox Manifesto you must either have been hallucinating or are a member of the owner-class.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

motai said:
What exactly are some good reasons to switch to Firefox? I've been using IE for years and haven't had a problem, and looking at the Firefox website implies that the only advantages for switching are tabbed browsing and security fixes (and W3C implementation). I already have my handy Google toolbar, so I don't have to worry about popups or searching. IE can be occasionally buggy, but on this machine it isn't too much of a problem (as in I am not trying to smash the computer with a jackhammer). Why change?

If Firefox is as good as other open-source projects like Wikipedia, I'll try it. Even if it matches the accessibility of programs like http://www.trillian.cc (okay, this isn't open-source, but its cool anyway), which is far better than AIM or MSN (but combines the functionable aspects of it and ICQ/IRC/Yahoo).

I'm not just speaking on behalf of myself, but also for the other stubborn IE users out there.
Don't limit yourself to firefox, or open-source, try out Opera too. As for firefox being a good open-source project. I would say it is probably the best open-source project currently out. You have nothing to lose when you are trying firefox. Unless, of course, you fall into the category of having MS stock (a few PF members fall into this category, imo): If this is the case, you should probably join the local ban firefox/open-source-projects club.

dduardo said:
Sorry, couldn't find any people having issues with firefox on this laptop. Must be a driver issue.

Probably. Thanks anyway...

EL said:
Probably. Thanks anyway...
This may seem silly: Go to tools-> options, I think (edit -> preferences in linux). Click on the advanced section (at the bottom). Then look at browsing. Do you have those buttons enabled (use autoscrolling, use smoothscrolling)? Try those if you don't.

Looks like I'm out of touch... can all you FOX supporters explain to me why I would want to do this? Does anyone run both browsers to compare (i'm guessing someone must)? Thank you.

I've never had a problem with IE either. However, I don't think that's a good enough reason not to try something else. Since reading this thread, I've bunged Firefox on. So far, so good...

Oooh, and I've got a nice Google toolbar for it too now! Woo!

Last edited:
I am not sure what you are into, but trying out firefox is definitely worth the time imo. Firefox, with a bit of figuring out can do pretty much anything, and I mean anything, you want it to do. Check out www.getfirefox.com it has a list of some of firefox's main features. Also, check out the list of extensions, these allow you to do much, much, more.

Some of my favorite features.

-Tabs, these are a must. (For IE there is a program called crazy browser, but I have not used it in almost 2 years, so I am unsure of whether or not it is as good as firefox's tabs)
-Keyword bookmarks and searches.
-Adblocking css (you can block out 99.9% of ads with a simple css (text) file. I think it now comes with firefox by default [if it does not I could post mine]).
-Limitless customization.
-Mouse Gestures [extension] (Opera's are much much better though imo)
-FoxyTunes [extension] (allows you to control your favorite media player inside your firefox browser window).

If you can't figure something out, or are wondering if something is possible in firefox, check out the mozillazine firefox forums at http://forums.mozillazine.org/

If you are going to try firefox give it a real try. Use nothing but firefox for a week, check out the mozillazine firefox forums (http://forums.mozillazine.org/) if you have questions or want to see what other people have done, check out the extensions, the themes, etc. If you just install the base you are missing out on some great features.

edit... also check out http://www.mozilla.org/support/firefox/tips

Last edited:
I've found a theme that works well for me: 'Scribblies kids' and I changed my touchpad configuration to help the usability. I'll download the mouse gestures and see how they work.

It's weird how the url bar works as as a Google 'I'm feeling lucky bar' instead of a bookmarked pages bar with keywords, but that takes getting used to.

Monique said:
I've found a theme that works well for me: 'Scribblies kids' and I changed my touchpad configuration to help the usability. I'll download the mouse gestures and see how they work.

It's weird how the url bar works as as a Google 'I'm feeling lucky bar' instead of a bookmarked pages bar with keywords, but that takes getting used to.
Yeah, but sometimes you can use it to your advantage :smile:

Also, if your know the site you are going to is a .com you can type in say "google" (without the quotes) and press "ctrl+enter" and it will add the .com and take you to "google.com"

You can also do this with .org

.com = ctrl+enter
.org = shift+enter

Definitely likely the mouse gestures. Can't wait until Firefox 1.5 to use Easy Gesture:

https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=29

Although I guess I could download Deer Park Alpha 2 to try it now.

Are those easy gestures that good? I may have to try them out. I have only tried the all-in-one gestures, which work great in windows, and ok in linux.

Those are the ones I have had trouble with in linux (iirc, all in one gestures is a combo of opimoz gestures with a few extra features). I even filed a bug report, iirc. The problem I have is that sometimes after closing a tab I will have a huge selection highlighted on the next page. Here is my bug report: http://mozdev.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=9961 Do you not have this problem?

Alright you all, you win. :shy: I downloaded Firefox and it is acting very much like IE would. It looks a little bland though... how would I go abouts customizing it, and what can be changed?

They are going to tell you to upgrade to version 1.0.1 and use firefox 1.06

motai said:
Alright you all, you win. :shy: I downloaded Firefox and it is acting very much like IE would. It looks a little bland though... how would I go abouts customizing it, and what can be changed?

Tools->themes
Tools->extensions

At the bottom right of the window you'll see a link for Get new [themes/extensions]

motai, remember, Ctrl+t = new tab

I am guessing you are referring to me dduardo? I posted that bug report in April 2005. I have not had any response though.

dduardo said:
Tools->themes
Tools->extensions

At the bottom right of the window you'll see a link for Get new [themes/extensions]

That was fast. Thanks. :smile:

mattmns said:
I am guessing you are referring to me dduardo? I posted that bug report in April 2005. I have not had any response though.

I don't know what to say. It doesn't happen to me.

Firefox is so simple, why not use it?

So, someone replied to the poll with "other." What "other" browser is out there? Will whoever clicked that one speak up and share?

Moonbear said:
So, someone replied to the poll with "other." What "other" browser is out there? Will whoever clicked that one speak up and share?

Maybe Nylex?

Nylex said:
I'm using Mozilla 1.7.5, since it came with Slackware. If it didn't, I probably would be using Firefox :smile:.

Other browsers that I can think of: Galeon, Konqueror, Netscape.

Lynx!

Ah, I missed Nylex's post. I didn't realize there were so many browsers to choose from! Competition is good. :approve:

A really nice Firefox theme is Noia 2.0. It's really clean and has nice animated buttons. It also is a little bit more colourful and interesting than the default skin/theme. Check it out https://addons.mozilla.org/themes/moreinfo.php?id=72&application=firefox .

dduardo said:
Which browser do you use? If your using IE you should consider switching to firefox:

http://www.mozilla.org/

Why?

I have IE, Firefox, Netscape and Opera installed (to test my webpages).
IE has more functions, better usability, and many of my special effects and scripts are not understood by browsers such as firefox, meaning extra coding so these browsers do not misinterpret them.

When other browsers catch up and look and feel less chunky and childlike then maybe...

Pengwuino said:
I hear Microsoft is trying to make a big step with IE7. Tabbed browsing, "real security"... some other crap... probably won't work so I am sticken with Da Fox.

"IE7" is a whole new project and not Internet Explorer 7 :eek:

mattmns said:
You get to use "special stuff"? Did not you say a while ago that your IE at work does not even have tabs? Tabs in the sense of firefox's tabs, not tasbar buttons :smile:

Those tabs are NASTY, icky icky icky no thankeee

*Kia* said:
Why?

I have IE, Firefox, Netscape and Opera installed (to test my webpages).
IE has more functions, better usability, and many of my special effects and scripts are not understood by browsers such as firefox, meaning extra coding so these browsers do not misinterpret them.

When other browsers catch up and look and feel less chunky and childlike then maybe...

Then try coding to web standards and cross browser problems will be minimized to the point of almost non-existant. IE(Internet Explorer) is a bug ridden virus waiting to happen. And tabbed browsing is infinetly more productive than non-tabbed. Imagine a page with multiple links---say a uC site with 18 versions of the same chip. Hold the apple key(I'm a mac user so you can take the MS-specific non-standard HTML and stick it where the sun doesn't shine) and click through all of the variations. Hold down apple+option and arrow through each of the open tabs---easy and quicker than opening links in different windows(organization wise) and much much quicker than using forward and backward history.

Now, please tell me(us) how firefox is behind IE? Well FF is well behind the virus curve but other than that how is it inferior? Tell me how Camino is less 'clunky' than IE on windows... You can't.

Window stack navigation - just as fluent with or without tabs

faust9 said:
tabbed browsing is infinetly more productive than non-tabbed. Imagine a page with multiple links---say a uC site with 18 versions of the same chip. Hold the apple key(I'm a mac user so you can take the MS-specific non-standard HTML and stick it where the sun doesn't shine) and click through all of the variations. Hold down apple+option and arrow through each of the open tabs---easy and quicker than opening links in different windows(organization wise) and much much quicker than using forward and backward history.
Using a non-tabbed browser doesn't mean you have to use only the forward backward history. You can do what you described without tabs. To open links in new windows on PC running IE, click while holding the shift key down. Alt-Tab goes back to the original page, even while that page is loading. Then you can shift-click another link, and so on. Once you have 40 windows open, you can flip through them with Alt-Tab (goes to the previous windows(s) visited) and with Shift-Alt-Tab (goes the opposite direction of Alt-Tab in your windows stack.

In short, both systems (tab browsing and non-tab browsing) use windows stacks. Both let you flip through them at ultra-high-speed with key-combinations. Both give you information about the pages in your stack (with IE, when you activate window stack navigation (Alt-Tab, lift up the Tab key but hold down the Alt key) the target window is described, and also has a distinctive icon for different programs (the window stack navigator for IE functions with all running applications, so I can be browsing the web and instantly switch back and forth between that and my encyclopedia program, my unabridged dictionary, Mathematica, Google Earth, Widows Media Player, Opera (for viewing flash web pages), calculator, text editor windows, file folder windows, iTunes, GIMP, Excel, etc., in addition to usually over 40 web pages all surfed simultaneously and all on one XGA monitor)).

I have tried tabs and they do not increase the functionality of my window stack navigation. People have watched me multi-task on PC computers running IE and their eyes pop out of their heads. They say, "What was *that*? How did you *do* that?" The only thing tabs do is waste space and distract me.

Moonbear said:
well it sucks, but there's AOL

and nobody posted in the AOL ca thread...

hitssquad said:
Using a non-tabbed browser doesn't mean you have to use only the forward backward history. You can do what you described without tabs. To open links in new windows on PC running IE, click while holding the shift key down. Alt-Tab goes back to the original page, even while that page is loading. Then you can shift-click another link, and so on. Once you have 40 windows open, you can flip through them with Alt-Tab (goes to the previous windows(s) visited) and with Shift-Alt-Tab (goes the opposite direction of Alt-Tab in your windows stack.

In short, both systems (tab browsing and non-tab browsing) use windows stacks. Both let you flip through them at ultra-high-speed with key-combinations. Both give you information about the pages in your stack (with IE, when you activate window stack navigation (Alt-Tab, lift up the Tab key but hold down the Alt key) the target window is described, and also has a distinctive icon for different programs (the window stack navigator for IE functions with all running applications, so I can be browsing the web and instantly switch back and forth between that and my encyclopedia program, my unabridged dictionary, Mathematica, Google Earth, Widows Media Player, Opera (for viewing flash web pages), calculator, text editor windows, file folder windows, iTunes, GIMP, Excel, etc., in addition to usually over 40 web pages all surfed simultaneously and all on one XGA monitor)).

I have tried tabs and they do not increase the functionality of my window stack navigation. People have watched me multi-task on PC computers running IE and their eyes pop out of their heads. They say, "What was *that*? How did you *do* that?" The only thing tabs do is waste space and distract me.

Well you are one of the few I would say. Personally I do not even like touching my keyboard while browsing. And if I were to use the taskbar with IE, I would have to click twice just to get to a new page. Personally I use rocker mouse gestures on firefox as this allows me to quickly scroll through tabs, and if I am lazy I just move the mouse and click the tab I want.

mattmns said:
And if I were to use the taskbar with IE, I would have to click twice just to get to a new page.
...To another window.

mattmns said:
Personally I use rocker mouse gestures on firefox as this allows me to quickly scroll through tabs
Does it automatically re-order your window stack according to most-recently visited windows? IE does.