Wedge product and change of variables

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
ianchenmu
Messages
7
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The question is: Let [itex]\phi: \mathbb{R}^n\rightarrow\mathbb{R}^n[/itex] be a [itex]C^1[/itex] map and let [itex]y=\phi(x)[/itex] be the change of variables. Show that d[itex]y_1\wedge...\wedge[/itex]d[itex]y_n[/itex]=(detD[itex]\phi(x)[/itex])[itex]\cdot[/itex]d[itex]x_1\wedge...\wedge[/itex]d[itex]x_n[/itex].

Homework Equations



n/a

The Attempt at a Solution


Take a look at here and the answer given by Michael Albanese:
http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/367949/wedge-product-and-change-of-variables

My question is can we prove it without using the fact "[itex]\det A = \sum_{\sigma\in S_n}\operatorname{sign}(\sigma)\prod_{i=1}^na_{i \sigma(j)}[/itex]"?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the definition of the pullback of a differential form ? This is a generalization to multilinear

maps of the "induced map" L* , from W* to V*, given a linear map L:V-->W , both V,W vector spaces.

I'm trying to avoid heavy machinery, but I think you need to understand this, unless you just want

a quick-and-dirty answer ( I assume you don't since you would have accepted the answer from the link

if you did.). You are basically doing a change of bases for multilinear maps, an extension of the idea of

basis change for a linear map.
 
Last edited: