1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General solution for a standing wave to the wave equation.

1. Apr 26, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If ##u(x,t)\in \mathbb R, x\in[-\pi,\pi] ## represents a standing wave with ##u(\pm\pi,t)=0## Then what is the most general solution u(x,t)?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Using the separation of variable technique: u(x,t)=P(x)Q(t)
    I get ##P(x) =A\sin{(\lambda x)}+B\cos{(\lambda x)}##
    ##u(\pm\pi,t)=0## implies either (1) or (2);
    (1) A=0 and ##\lambda=\frac{2n-1}{2}## so ##P(x)=B\cos{(\frac{2n-1}{2}x)}##
    (2) B=0 and ##\lambda=n## so ##P(x)=A\sin{(nx)}##
    If (1) then ##Q(t)=C_n\sin{(\frac{2n-1}{2}ct+\phi)}## and ##u(x,t)=\sum_{n=1}^\infty b_n\sin{(\frac{2n-1}{2}ct+\phi)}\cos{(\frac{2n-1}{2}x)}##
    If (2) then ##Q(t)=C_n\sin{(nct+\phi)}## and ##u(x,t)=\sum_{n=1}^\infty a_n\sin{(nct+\phi)}\sin{(nx)}##
    So i would be inclined to say the most general solution is linear combinations of (1) and (2);
    ##u(x,t)=\sum_{n=1}^\infty a_n\sin{(nct+\phi)}\sin{(nx)} + \sum_{n=1}^\infty b_n\sin{(\frac{2n-1}{2}ct+\phi)}\cos{(\frac{2n-1}{2}x)}##

However this is what the solution says;
    ##u(x,t)=\sum_{n=1}^\infty a_n\sin{(nx)}\sin{(nct+\phi)}+\sum_{n=1}^\infty b_n\cos{(\frac{2n-1}{2}x)}\sin{(nct+\phi)}##
    I don't quite understand this solution because in one part of u(x,t) it has quantized lamda as integers (##\lambda=n##) and in another part it has quantized lamda as odd multiples divided by two (##\lambda=\frac{2n-1}{2}##). Its as if the solution has taken linear combinations of my (1) and (2) and let lambda equal different values. Are you allowed to do this?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I see nothing wrong with your reasoning, so I suspect you found an error in the book solutions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted