General solution for a standing wave to the wave equation.

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the most general solution for a standing wave with given boundary conditions. The solution involves using the separation of variables technique to obtain two possible forms for the solution, and then taking a linear combination of these two forms. However, the solution provided in the book seems to have an error, as it uses different values for the quantized lambda in different parts of the solution.
pondzo

Homework Statement

If ##u(x,t)\in \mathbb R, x\in[-\pi,\pi] ## represents a standing wave with ##u(\pm\pi,t)=0## Then what is the most general solution u(x,t)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Using the separation of variable technique: u(x,t)=P(x)Q(t)
I get ##P(x) =A\sin{(\lambda x)}+B\cos{(\lambda x)}##
##u(\pm\pi,t)=0## implies either (1) or (2);
(1) A=0 and ##\lambda=\frac{2n-1}{2}## so ##P(x)=B\cos{(\frac{2n-1}{2}x)}##
(2) B=0 and ##\lambda=n## so ##P(x)=A\sin{(nx)}##
If (1) then ##Q(t)=C_n\sin{(\frac{2n-1}{2}ct+\phi)}## and ##u(x,t)=\sum_{n=1}^\infty b_n\sin{(\frac{2n-1}{2}ct+\phi)}\cos{(\frac{2n-1}{2}x)}##
If (2) then ##Q(t)=C_n\sin{(nct+\phi)}## and ##u(x,t)=\sum_{n=1}^\infty a_n\sin{(nct+\phi)}\sin{(nx)}##
So i would be inclined to say the most general solution is linear combinations of (1) and (2);
##u(x,t)=\sum_{n=1}^\infty a_n\sin{(nct+\phi)}\sin{(nx)} + \sum_{n=1}^\infty b_n\sin{(\frac{2n-1}{2}ct+\phi)}\cos{(\frac{2n-1}{2}x)}##

However this is what the solution says;
##u(x,t)=\sum_{n=1}^\infty a_n\sin{(nx)}\sin{(nct+\phi)}+\sum_{n=1}^\infty b_n\cos{(\frac{2n-1}{2}x)}\sin{(nct+\phi)}##
I don't quite understand this solution because in one part of u(x,t) it has quantized lamda as integers (##\lambda=n##) and in another part it has quantized lamda as odd multiples divided by two (##\lambda=\frac{2n-1}{2}##). Its as if the solution has taken linear combinations of my (1) and (2) and let lambda equal different values. Are you allowed to do this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I see nothing wrong with your reasoning, so I suspect you found an error in the book solutions.

1. What is a standing wave?

A standing wave is a type of wave that occurs when the incoming wave and its reflected wave interfere with each other. This results in a pattern of nodes and antinodes that appear to be standing still, hence the name "standing wave".

2. What is the wave equation and how does it relate to standing waves?

The wave equation is a mathematical formula used to describe the behavior of waves. It relates the frequency, wavelength, and speed of a wave. In the case of standing waves, the wave equation helps us understand the relationship between the wavelength and frequency needed to produce a standing wave pattern.

3. What is a general solution for a standing wave?

The general solution for a standing wave is a mathematical formula that describes the displacement of the wave at any point in time. It takes into account the amplitude, wavelength, and frequency of the wave, as well as the position of the nodes and antinodes.

4. How can a standing wave be created?

A standing wave can be created by sending an incoming wave through a medium and reflecting it back towards its source. The wavelength and frequency of the incoming wave must be such that they interfere constructively to produce the standing wave pattern.

5. What are some applications of standing waves?

Standing waves have many practical applications, such as in musical instruments, where they create different notes and tones. They are also used in telecommunications, as they can carry information along a medium without the need for physical movement. Standing waves are also important in the study of quantum mechanics and can be used to understand the behavior of electrons in atoms.