1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weight at the North Pole vs. Equator Problem

1. Dec 7, 2011 #1
    1. Suppose Earth is a perfect sphere of radius 6,370km. If a person weighs exactly 600N at the north pole, how much will the person weigh at the equator?

Givens:

r = 6,370km = 6,370,000m
    Weight at north pole = mg = 600N

2. Relevant equations

ω[itex]_{av}[/itex] = θ/t

ƩF[itex]_{net}[/itex] = ma

a[itex]_{c}[/itex] = v[itex]^{2}[/itex]/r

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay, so the first thing I did was to draw a picture. Then I noticed that ω[itex]_{av}[/itex] would be 0 at the North Pole because you don't have any rotational velocity! Then I set up a Free Body Diagram for a location at the equator and see that the normal force (N) is acting up perpendicular to the ground, and gravity is acting downward towards the center of the Earths gravity.

I get

ƩF[itex]_{y}[/itex] = ma[itex]_{y}[/itex]

where a[itex]_{y}[/itex] is the centripetal acceleration a[itex]_{c}[/itex]

so

ƩF[itex]_{y}[/itex] = mv[itex]^{2}[/itex]/r = mrω[itex]^{2}[/itex]

and substituting in N and mg for ƩF[itex]_{y}[/itex]

N-mg = mrω[itex]^{2}[/itex]

since we are looking for N

N = mrω[itex]^{2}[/itex]+mg

and so when I substitute the values of m, r, ω, and g I get

N = 61.16kg(6.37 x 10[itex]^{6}[/itex]m)(7.27 x 10[itex]^{-5}[/itex]rad/s)[itex]^{2}[/itex] + 61.16kg(9.81m/s[itex]^{2}[/itex])

solving for N I get 602.06N

But I thought that you weighed less at the equator? I believe I missed something fundamental, can someone please help me out here? Thank you for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2011 #2

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It should be mg-N=mrω^2, since the centripetal acceleration points inwards towards the center, and so does mg, but not N.

4. Dec 8, 2011 #3
    Oh! So at that point I should take downward as positive and solve for N = mg-mrω^2? That makes more sense I don't know why I didn't remember that the centripetal acceleration would be pointed towards the center of gravity as well, thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook