1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weight before/after change in rotation Speed

1. Oct 25, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How would the weight of a person in some place (48 North and 123 West) change if the rotation rate increased so a day was 3 hours long?

2. Relevant equations

F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution

The above is not the only equation I think that is needed for this. Not sure about this, but coriolis force maybe needed. I just have no clue about this.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2011 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sum of forces on the person = 0 since he's not going anywhere (hint: there are 3 terms in the equation, and yes, it's basically F = ma, except if you're going to derive evbrything you need from that one equation, remember that F and a are vectors, not just scalars).

4. Oct 25, 2011 #3
    Yes, I understand that F=ma = 0 since the person will not move. Now the three terms that come into play... would the centrifugal force help at all since the earth is rotating?

5. Oct 26, 2011 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes it would. Since gravitational attrcation is constant, irrespective of rotational speed, what force do you think has to change so the three add up to zero?

6. Oct 26, 2011 #5
    You are working in a frame fixed to the earth which is a rotating object hence you are in a rotating frame. Which means that you need to use fictious forces. You need the centrifugal force. The coriolis force is tangent to the earths surface... Calculate the component of the centrifugal force normal to the surface of the earth...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook