Time-weighted average distance in an elliptical orbit

In summary: I'd do something like $$ \frac{1}{t - 0} \int_{0}^{t} r(t) dr$$But I don't know how to get an ##r(t)## with what I have right...
DJSedna

Homework Statement

Using the polar formula for an ellipse, and Kepler's second law, find the time-weighted average distance in an elliptical orbit.

Homework Equations

The polar formula for an ellipse:

$$r = \frac { a(1-e^2)} {1 \pm e cos \theta},$$

Area of an ellipse:

$$ A = \pi a b $$

$$ b = \sqrt{a(1 - e^2)} $$

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know if you'd call this much of an attempt, but I understand I need to be taking some sort of integral with respect to time. I have genuinely been staring at this for hours with no idea where to start, though, and I need some idea of how to get going.

I've messed with just about every algebraic combination of the three equations above, but I haven't found anything that pops out at me and says "oh, that's it."

Sorry if this is too vague, this is the first time I've ever really needed to post here. Let me know if I can add any more information.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

The problem mentions Kepler's second law. That will probably be very helpful.

Also, in general, if you have a function of time ##f(t)##, how would you set up an integral to represent the time average of the function over a time interval from ##t = 0## to ##t = T##?

TSny said:
Welcome to PF!

The problem mentions Kepler's second law. That will probably be very helpful.

Also, in general, if you have a function of time ##f(t)##, how would you set up an integral to represent the time average of the function over a time interval from ##t = 0## to ##t = T##?

Thanks!

Allegedly we have all of the information needed in those three equations, and does Kepler's Second Law have an actual mathematical form? If it does, I've gone through four years of undergrad, a year of research, and a year of grad school with misinformation, haha.

For such an integral, you'd need to do something with ## \theta ## going from ##0## to ##2\pi##, no?

DJSedna said:
does Kepler's Second Law have an actual mathematical form?
Yes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler's_laws_of_planetary_motion#Second_law

For such an integral, you'd need to do something with ## \theta ## going from ##0## to ##2\pi##, no?
Yes. But start with the general idea of setting up an integral for the time average of ##r(t)## for an orbit. In calculus, you probably covered finding the average of a function ##f(x)## over some interval ##a < x < b##. If you need a review, try a web search for "average of a function integral". Then you can apply the general idea to this problem.

TSny said:
Yes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler's_laws_of_planetary_motion#Second_law

Yes. But start with the general idea of setting up an integral for the time average of ##r(t)## for an orbit. In calculus, you probably covered finding the average of a function ##f(x)## over some interval ##a < x < b##. If you need a review, try a web search for "average of a function integral". Then you can apply the general idea to this problem.

Okay, is this what you're talking about? It does look vaguely familiar.

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/AvgFcnValue.aspx

One thing, though---there's no time in the equations above. I might be too burnt out from a week of intense finals and missing something.

DJSedna said:
Okay, is this what you're talking about? It does look vaguely familiar.

http://tutorial.math.lamar.edu/Classes/CalcI/AvgFcnValue.aspx
Yes

One thing, though---there's no time in the equations above.
Once you set up the time integration that represents the time average of ##r##, ##\left<r\right>##, you can try a change of integration variable from ##t## to ##\theta##. This will allow you to express ##\left<r\right>## as some integral with respect to ##\theta##.

TSny said:
YesOnce you set up the time integration that represents the time average of ##r##, ##\left<r\right>##, you can try a change of integration variable from ##t## to ##\theta##. This will allow you to express ##\left<r\right>## as some integral with respect to ##\theta##.

I'm sorry, I guess I'm not fully picking up on what you're saying. How am I setting up a time integral with nothing that has time in it?

##r## varies with time as the planet moves in its orbit. So, you can think of ##r## as a function of ##t##, ##r(t)##. If you knew the function ##r(t)##, how would you set up an integral that represents the time average of ##r(t)##?

TSny said:
##r## varies with time as the planet moves in its orbit. So, you can think of ##r## as a function of ##t##, ##r(t)##. If you knew the function ##r(t)##, how would you set up an integral that represents the time average of ##r(t)##?

I'd do something like

$$ \frac{1}{t - 0} \int_{0}^{t} r(t) dr$$

But I don't know how to get an ##r(t)## with what I have right now.

DJSedna said:
I'd do something like

$$ \frac{1}{t - 0} \int_{0}^{t} r(t) dr$$
OK. You want the average over one orbit. So, what specific time should you use for the upper limit of the integral?

Also, you wrote the differential inside the integral as ##dr##. Did you mean ##dt##?

But I don't know how to get an ##r(t)## with what I have right now.
You'll be able to do a change of variable of integration from ##t## to ##\theta##. This is where Kepler's 2nd law will be helpful.

TSny said:
OK. You want the average over one orbit. So, what specific time should you use for the upper limit of the integral?

Also, you wrote the differential inside the integral as ##dr##. Did you mean ##dt##?

You'll be able to do a change of variable of integration from ##t## to ##\theta##. This is where Kepler's 2nd law will be helpful.

Yeah, I meant to write ## dt ##, my bad.

For the time of one orbit, you'd want to integrate from 0 to ##P##? Am I intended to use an equation for ##P## as my upper-bound of integration?

DJSedna said:
Yeah, I meant to write ## dt ##, my bad.

For the time of one orbit, you'd want to integrate from 0 to ##P##?
Yes, assuming ##P## is the period of the orbit. Or you could use ##P/2## since the shape of the orbit is symmetrical.
Am I intended to use an equation for ##P## as my upper-bound of integration?
You won't need an equation for ##P##.

Last edited:

1. What is time-weighted average distance in an elliptical orbit?

Time-weighted average distance in an elliptical orbit is a measure of the average distance between an orbiting object and its central body over a given period of time. It takes into account the varying distances between the two objects as the orbit progresses.

2. How is time-weighted average distance calculated?

Time-weighted average distance is calculated by taking the integral of the distance between the orbiting object and its central body over a given time period and dividing it by the total time.

3. Why is time-weighted average distance important in orbital mechanics?

Time-weighted average distance is important in orbital mechanics because it allows us to accurately describe and predict the motion of objects in elliptical orbits. It takes into account the varying distances between the objects, which affects the strength of gravitational forces and the speed of the orbiting object.

4. How does time-weighted average distance differ from semi-major axis?

Time-weighted average distance and semi-major axis are related but different measures. While both describe the size of an elliptical orbit, semi-major axis is a fixed value that represents the longest distance between the center of the orbit and its edge. Time-weighted average distance, on the other hand, takes into account the varying distances between the orbiting object and its central body over a period of time.

5. Can time-weighted average distance change over time?

Yes, time-weighted average distance can change over time as the orbiting object moves closer or further away from its central body. It is a dynamic measure that takes into account the changing distances between the two objects as the orbit progresses.