Weight limits when splitting the weight between two points

In summary, to hang a hammock using two neodymium magnets rated 400 lbs each, you will need to tension the hammock rope at almost 180 degrees between the magnets. The hammock will not hang horizontally and may be uncomfortable to use.
Joseph Moore
I have a hammock that is rated to 400 lbs.

I want to use two neodymium magnets to
suspend the hammock from two steel posts.

Do I need two magnets rated 400 lbs each?

Physics news on Phys.org
The tension is going to be several times larger.
Consider the angle at the attachment point.

Likes billy_joule
Ideally the hammock is stretched at almost 180 degrees between the two points.
I suppose the question should have been what weight do I need?

Joseph Moore said:
Ideally the hammock is stretched at almost 180 degrees between the two points.
I suppose the question should have been what weight do I need?

When the hammock rope is hanging vertically the tension at each support is half the weight of the hammock.
When the hammock rope goes towards horizontal the tension at each support goes towards infinity.

So in reality, no rope can ever hang horizontally, they form a catenary:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catenary
(of course in many cases it's close enough to horizontal for many uses - eg a string line used in constructing houses)

The tension at each support can be found via
T= W / 2sinθ
where θ is the angle below horizontal (ie vertical rope = 90o, horizontal rope = 0o )
eg for 5 degrees:
T = 400lb / 2*sin5 = 2,300lb

IME of hammocks 5 degrees probably wouldn't be very comfortable.

Why magnets anyway? Something like a carabiner would be much cheaper and easier to use (I'm assuming you're doing it for quick release).

Likes PietKuip
I have a storage unit in which I can make no structural modifications. I can not drill into the steel beams. I remembered that neodymium magnets could hold incredible weights and thought I could run an eye hook thru a disk magnet.

What I meant by 180 degrees, when I hang the hammock between two trees, empty I tie it as tight as I can, then when I add weight it sags, yes.

Joseph Moore said:
I have a storage unit in which I can make no structural modifications. I can not drill into the steel beams. I remembered that neodymium magnets could hold incredible weights and thought I could run an eye hook thru a disk magnet.
What I meant by 180 degrees, when I hang the hammock between two trees, empty I tie it as tight as I can, then when I add weight it sags, yes.
Novel and worth having a go. Of course, if your magnet is strong enough to support your hammock, you might have a real problem prising it off the cabinet, once you have finished with the hammock. Would you want to leave the (expensive) magnet behind? I say 'expensive' because it would need to hold (without slipping) many times your own weight. That could be 50kN, if the sag is to be limited. I found this.

What is the purpose of weight limits when splitting weight between two points?

Weight limits are put in place to ensure the safety and stability of structures. Splitting the weight between two points helps distribute the load evenly and prevent any one point from bearing too much weight, which could lead to structural failure.

How are weight limits determined when splitting weight between two points?

Weight limits are determined by calculating the maximum load that each point can safely bear. Factors such as the strength and stability of the materials, the angle and distance between the two points, and the expected weight distribution are taken into consideration.

What happens if weight limits are exceeded when splitting weight between two points?

If weight limits are exceeded, the structure may become unstable and collapse. This can result in injury, damage to property, and even loss of life. It is important to always adhere to weight limits and properly distribute weight when splitting it between two points.

Are weight limits the same for all structures when splitting weight between two points?

No, weight limits may vary depending on the type of structure and its intended use. For example, a bridge may have a higher weight limit than a residential balcony. It is important to consult the appropriate guidelines and safety regulations for each specific structure.

What precautions should be taken when splitting weight between two points?

When splitting weight between two points, it is important to evenly distribute the weight and ensure that both points can safely bear the load. It is also important to regularly inspect the structure and its components to ensure they are in good condition and able to withstand the weight being placed upon them.