Weight=mg and if g is the acceleration due to gravity

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of weight and acceleration due to gravity when standing on the ground. It is explained that the normal force from the floor counteracts the Earth's acceleration, resulting in no movement. The role of Einstein's theory of relativity in this concept is briefly mentioned.
cragar
this is probably a really dumb question but I just have to ask it when I am standing
on the ground my weight=mg and if g is the acceleration due to gravity .
but how am I accelerating I am not moving and my velocity is not changing , and how am I applying a force on Earth .

Physics news on Phys.org

Ordinarily you are not accelerating, because the floor is pushing back at you with precisely the same force. This is called the normal force. When there is no such thing as a floor (for example, you are jumping from an airplane or your elevator cables break) then the acceleration of the Earth produces the only force acting on you (except for things like friction) and you will accelerate (when jumping from an airplane, that's the whole point; when inside an elevator whose cables just broke it's a less pleasant effect).

ok I see , when we feel a force on our body if we feel , I guess what i am asking is will we always feel a force . didn't Einstein say that when we are in free-fall we can't feel our own weight .

You don't need Einstein for that, it worked this way since Newton.

cragar said:
this is probably a really dumb question but I just have to ask it when I am standing
on the ground my weight=mg and if g is the acceleration due to gravity .
but how am I accelerating I am not moving and my velocity is not changing , and how am I applying a force on Earth .

the Earth is trying to accelerate you towards the Earth but at same time surface of Earth obstructs ,by Newtons third law,the surface gives tou a force (R)
such that
mg-R=0, so you don't move
mg=R the weigth is measurement of R

FAQ: Weight=mg and if g is the acceleration due to gravity

1. What is the meaning of the equation Weight=mg?

The equation Weight=mg represents the relationship between an object's weight (W), its mass (m), and the acceleration due to gravity (g). It states that an object's weight is equal to its mass multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How is weight different from mass?

Mass is a measure of an object's inertia and is constant regardless of location or gravitational pull. Weight, on the other hand, is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object and can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational field.

3. What is the value of g in the equation Weight=mg?

The value of g represents the acceleration due to gravity and varies based on the mass and radius of the celestial body. On Earth, the average value of g is 9.8 m/s², but it can differ slightly depending on location and altitude.

4. Can the equation Weight=mg be applied to all objects?

Yes, the equation Weight=mg can be applied to all objects, regardless of their size or shape, as long as they have mass and are subject to the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How does the acceleration due to gravity affect weight?

The acceleration due to gravity affects weight by determining the force with which objects are pulled toward the center of a celestial body. The greater the acceleration due to gravity, the greater the weight of an object will be.