1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Weird Issue with the Chain Rule

1. Apr 17, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm working on a quick problem regarding a presentation that I'm giving, but I've come across an issue that I can't seem to resolve. Namely

[tex] \displaystyle \left. \frac{d}{dt} \right|_{t=0} f(\phi^p (t+t_0) ) = \left( \phi^p \right) ^\prime (t_0) f [/tex]

Does anybody see how this is true?

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex] \displaystyle \left. \frac{d}{dt} \right|_{t=0} f(\phi^p (t+t_0) ) = f^\prime(\phi^p(t_0)) \left(\phi^p \right)^\prime (t_0) [/tex]

All we know about f is that it is a smooth function and [itex] t_0 [/itex] was arbitrarily chosen, so I'm not seeing where we make the jump. (Note: [itex] \phi^p(t) [/itex] is a dynamical system flow on a smooth manifold, but I don't see how that should help)
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Is f some form of exponential, so f'(x)=f(x)?
  4. Apr 17, 2008 #3
    All we know is that f is a smooth function on the manifold.
  5. Apr 17, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That first equation looks incomplete to me. There is no argument to f.
  6. Apr 17, 2008 #5
    f is defined as a function on the manifold so the argument is generally omitted; otherwise, we would need to introduce an atlas on the manifold and define a local coordinate system using a coordinate chart. I don't think it's really necessary to the argument. Furthermore, [itex] (\phi^p)^\prime [/itex] is a locally defined vector field, and [itex] \phi^p [/itex] being a flow would imply that vector field is smooth. Thus it acts as an operator on f, in which case the argument for f is again not necessary.
  7. Apr 18, 2008 #6
    I think the answer was staring me in the face the whole time.

I probably should have defined flows, it would've made this a bit more obvious.

The flow maps the Cartesian product of a monoid and a manifold to a manifold. But [itex]\frac{d}{dt} [/itex] is a derivative that holds only with respect to the monoid. The way that that is written isn't implying that [itex] \phi^ [/itex] is in the argument of f, it's implying that this is indeed the product of two smooth functions, one of which is completely independent of t!

I think that must be the answer, but I really blame horrible and ambiguous notation...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?