Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Well Im on a science project ( NOT HOMEWORK)

1. Jan 13, 2008 #1
    Trying to figure out a formula for the amount of teeth and amount of gears for a pound of force delivered.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2008 #2
    >_>I know I'm never going to get a reply.Another Day, Another barren wasteland forum >_>

4. Jan 13, 2008 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

This is a mechanical engineering/design problem, and not suitable for the tutorial section. I shall move it accordingly.

The number (and size) of teeth will depend on the diameter of the gear (root, or mean, or peak), and the stress limit criteria, which depends on the material.

5. Jan 13, 2008 #4
    Well I know that I just need a partial portion of my dirty work done like an example of lined up gears and teeth per pound. but I'll give you this much. Material: Steal

6. Jan 13, 2008 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

It doesn't work like that. You need to know the loads you will be transmitting through the gear teeth. You assume, worst case, that only a single tooth will be engaged at a time. There is no easy plug and chug equation to do this. This is why optical techniques and FEA are used to describe the very complex stress distributions around gear teeth.

7. Jan 14, 2008 #6
    >_> I asked an example, not The most efficient way. I'm unfortunately done with this site until I have a dumb question.

8. Jan 15, 2008 #7

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We don't want members here who ask half a question, and expect answers within 9 minutes of their original post, without showing any gratitude for the helpful (and correct) answers which were offered them.

Close the door quietly on your way out.

9. Jan 15, 2008 #8

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

On that note, this thread is done. Best of luck!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?