Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Well-written Journal Articles in Chem?

1. Nov 8, 2014 #1
    Hi, I was interested in collecting around 3 very nice chemistry journal articles to use as example/inspiration for students writing lab reports. I thought I would ask here before wandering my libraries' archives for a few hours.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2014 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You want 'em for grade school, middle school, high school, college level? Major or non-major? Strictly chemistry? Physics or biology acceptable?

4. Nov 13, 2014 #3
    They are advanced high school students, strictly chemistry. I was hoping to be able to prove to them that there is a greater artistic range than they assume in science writing.

5. Nov 13, 2014 #4

Ygggdrasil

Science Advisor

6. Nov 13, 2014 #5

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

"Well written ...." That plus keeping things to a reasonable length and on topics intelligible to HS students plus recent enough that you can access them without a time machine makes it a little tough. Best I could come up with are from the 70s, not terribly obnoxious use of passive voice, and actually readable.

J. Phys. Chem., vol. 74, no. 24,1970, pp. 4299-4300.
    J. Phys. Chem., vol. 74, no. 23, 1970, pp. 4157-9.
    J. Chem. Phys., vol. 21, no. 1. 1953, pp. 80-2.

And more recently, and more accessible
    J. Chem. Ed., vol. 71, no. 6, June 1994, pp. 531-3.

Best reading is just browsing JACS from the 30s --- lotsa luck finding a library where it's still on the shelves.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook