1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Were is the electric field zero?

1. Mar 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the net electric field intensity at the origin due to two charges Q1= 2[tex]\mu[/tex]C at (x=3,y=4) and Q2 = -10[tex]\mu[/tex]C at (x=6,y=-8). And where should a third charge of magnitude 5 [tex]\mu[/tex]C be placed so the net electric field at the origin is zero?

2. Relevant equations
    E=KQ/R[tex]^{2}[/tex] [tex]\widehat{r}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I have found the first part of the question to be E= 3236[tex]\widehat{i}[/tex]-10069[tex]\widehat{j}[/tex] but I am not sure how you would find out were to place the third charge. Please help

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 15, 2010 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi blackblanx! :smile:

(have a mu: µ :wink:)
    The third charge will have to supply a field of minus E. :wink:

4. Mar 15, 2010 #3
    but what are the coordinates of where that charge should be placed?

5. Mar 15, 2010 #4
    oh wait never mind i think i got it know thanks it would just be the negative of the electric field vector divided by k(5[tex]\mu[/tex]C)

6. Mar 15, 2010 #5
    Forget I realized that does not work any ideas of how to find the coordinates?

7. Mar 16, 2010 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It'll be on the line in the direction of E, at the distance appropriate to the given strength. :smile:

8. Mar 18, 2010 #7
    ok thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook