Weyl tensor in 2 dimensions- confused

In summary: N=2, the Weyl tensor is undefined and the metric is conformally flat. However, in the computation above, the chosen metric g is not conformally flat, which explains why the Weyl tensor did not vanish. It is important to choose a conformally flat metric when working in 2 dimensions. This is why the Weyl tensor is null in the first case but not in the second.
zn5252
hello,
The Weyl tensor is:

http://ars.els-cdn.com/content/image/1-s2.0-S0550321305002828-si53.gif

In 2 dimensions , the Riemann tensor is (see MTW ex 14.2):
Rabcd = K( gacgbd - gadgbc ) [R]

Now the Weyl tensor must vanish in 2 dimensions. However, working with the g

g =
[-1 0 0 1 ]
[ 0 1 0 0 ]
[ 0 0 1 0 ]
[ 0 0 0 1 ]

Will yield a null Weyl tensor indeed with a Ricci scalar of 12K (from formula R). (see solution of Pb 9.27 in Lightmann)
But in 2 dimensions with the g :

g =
[-1 0 ]
[ 0 1 ]

Will not give a null Weyl tensor ! with a Ricci scalar 2K (from formula R).

Now I'm confused. The issue is very easy though.
Where did I go wrong ?

Physics news on Phys.org
All N = 2 spaces are conformally flat.
This would mean that since the Weyl tensor vanishes for the conformal space whose Riemann tensor has the form [R], thus one can conclude that for N=2, the Weyl tensor is null.
This might make sense. But i do not know why the computation above did not yield a null Weyl tensor. For N=2 , the Weyl tensor is undefined, thus the link that I provided is not valid for N=2.

zn5252 said:
hello,
The Weyl tensor is:

http://ars.els-cdn.com/content/image/1-s2.0-S0550321305002828-si53.gif

In 2 dimensions , the Riemann tensor is (see MTW ex 14.2):
Rabcd = K( gacgbd - gadgbc ) [R]

Now the Weyl tensor must vanish in 2 dimensions. However, working with the g

g =
[-1 0 0 1 ]
[ 0 1 0 0 ]
[ 0 0 1 0 ]
[ 0 0 0 1 ]

Will yield a null Weyl tensor indeed with a Ricci scalar of 12K (from formula R). (see solution of Pb 9.27 in Lightmann)
But in 2 dimensions with the g :

g =
[-1 0 ]
[ 0 1 ]

Will not give a null Weyl tensor ! with a Ricci scalar 2K (from formula R).

Now I'm confused. The issue is very easy though.
Where did I go wrong ?

This is related to the last question of MTW ex 21.21

1. What is the Weyl tensor in 2 dimensions?

The Weyl tensor in 2 dimensions is a mathematical object used in the field of differential geometry to describe the curvature of a 2-dimensional space. It measures the difference in the curvature of a surface in different directions and is a key component in understanding the overall geometry of a space.

2. How is the Weyl tensor different from other tensors?

The Weyl tensor is unique in that it is a traceless tensor, meaning that its components do not depend on the coordinates used to describe the space. This property makes it particularly useful in studying the intrinsic geometry of a space, as it is not affected by the choice of coordinates.

3. What does it mean for the Weyl tensor to be "confused" in 2 dimensions?

The term "confused" refers to the fact that the Weyl tensor in 2 dimensions is identically zero. This occurs because in 2-dimensional spaces, the Riemann curvature tensor (which is used to calculate the Weyl tensor) can be fully described by the Ricci curvature tensor, making the Weyl tensor redundant.

4. How is the Weyl tensor used in physics?

The Weyl tensor is used in general relativity to describe the curvature of spacetime in 4 dimensions. It plays a crucial role in Einstein's field equations, which relate the curvature of spacetime to the distribution of matter and energy. Additionally, the Weyl tensor is used in cosmology to study the large-scale structure of the universe.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Weyl tensor in 2 dimensions?

While the Weyl tensor in 2 dimensions does not have as many direct applications as in higher dimensions, it is still an important concept in mathematics and physics. It is used in theoretical studies of 2-dimensional spaces and can provide insights into the behavior of higher dimensional spaces by simplifying the calculations. It also has applications in other fields such as computer graphics and image processing.