What a firecracker would do to a glass cub of water.

• Thread starter black phantom
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Glass Water
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential outcome of putting an explosive into a container of water to vaporize it. It is concluded that the container would likely be destroyed and the experiment should not be attempted. Alternatives, such as using microwaves or a strong closed container, are also mentioned but may not be completely effective. The conversation ends with a reminder that this is a theoretical discussion and should not be attempted at home.
black phantom
Hello,
I'm trying to figure out what would happen if you put an explosive into a container of water where the explosive released the same amount of energy it would take to vaporize the water in the container. What would happen to the container?

Physics news on Phys.org
Normally, the energy required to vaporize the water would be spread out over a fair amount of time, even if you were boiling it at a very high heat.

If you caused all that energy to be expended at one time, I would assume that the water would end up mostly on the ceiling and the container would be inserted into the walls in small pieces except for the parts that were absorbed by your body.

You would then regret having done the experiment.

Ok, would there be any way to vaperise water in a container w/ a sudden burst of energy w/out disrupting the container? Maybe w/out a chemical explosive? So there is little expanding non water gasses, just the pure release of energy?

black phantom said:
Ok, would there be any way to vaperise water in a container w/ a sudden burst of energy w/out disrupting the container? Maybe w/out a chemical explosive? So there is little expanding non water gasses, just the pure release of energy?

Microwaves. But unless you have an absolutely tiny amount it would require a huge burst. Much more than is safe to be around. And it is unlikely that the container would be able to survive the massive increase in pressure, so you'd still have an explosion, just from steam this time. Even an open container would probably be severely damaged unless it was very sturdy.

black phantom said:

I have done this many times with my tea, and had to clean the mircrowave oven afterwards.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superheating

The other way is to use a very strong closed container that can stand the pressure, and keeps the overheated water liquid, until you open it. But I'm not sure if you can get all the water to vaporize that way. And it is not a good idea to try this at home,

Last edited:
Ok, thanks everyone, you guys helped. And what I'm thinking about is not something i plan to do at home, its all strictly theoretical.

1. What happens when you put a firecracker in a glass of water?

When a firecracker is put into a glass of water, it will most likely explode. The explosion will cause the water to splash out of the glass and possibly break the glass as well.

2. Can a firecracker be safely submerged in water?

No, it is not safe to submerge a firecracker in water. Firecrackers are designed to explode when ignited, and putting them in water can still cause them to explode.

3. Will a firecracker extinguish a flame in a glass of water?

No, a firecracker will not extinguish a flame in a glass of water. The explosion from the firecracker may cause the water to splash and put out the flame, but the firecracker itself will not have any impact on the flame.

4. What happens to the glass of water after a firecracker explodes in it?

After a firecracker explodes in a glass of water, the glass may break or shatter due to the force of the explosion. The water may also splash out of the glass and potentially cause a mess.

5. Is it safe to drink water after a firecracker has been put in it?

No, it is not safe to drink water that has had a firecracker put in it. The explosion from the firecracker can contaminate the water with debris and potentially harmful chemicals. It is best to dispose of the water and glass and use a new, clean glass for drinking.