What am I doing wrong on this linear question

• Thread starter bluewhistled
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Linear
In summary, the conversation discusses finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors for a given matrix. The attempt at a solution involves reproducing the results from a book, but there is confusion over the second eigenvector. It is eventually determined that both the conversation and the book are correct, as multiplying an eigenvector by a scalar produces the same solution.
bluewhistled

Homework Statement

The matrix is [[5,2],[2,2]], the eigenvalues are 6 and 1, the eigenvectors are [2/(5^.5),1/(5^.5)] and [1/(5^.5),-2/(5^.5)]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm trying to reproduce their results and I can get the eigenvalues and the first vector but the second one always comes out to be [-.5,1]. when it should be [.5,-1] according to the book. Unless the book is wrong (which I'm hoping someone will help me verify :)) So anyway this is what I end up with [2,1] and [-.5,1] which you normalize to get the above answers but the second vector has the signs reversed. I'll type up my work so you can see if there is anything wrong with it...

(L-5)(L-2)-4=L^2-7L+6=(L-6)(L-1)
Which gives L=1,6

Now for L=1:
v_1=[[-4,-2],[-2,-1]] which simplifies to [[1,-2],[0,0]] and then I take the eigenvector of [2,1]

v_2=[[1,-2],[-2,4]] which simplifies to [[1,.5],[0,0]] and then I take the eigenvector of [-.5,1]

Can anyone see a flaw in my work?

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
You and they are both correct. Multiplying an eigenvector by any scalar produces the "same" eigenvector solution. That scalar multiple can be -1.

Oh lol, now I feel like a fool for stressing out for an hour at 3AM last night over this. Thanks a lot for clearing that up.

1. What is a linear question?

A linear question is a question that can be answered using a straight line on a graph. It usually involves finding the relationship between two variables and determining how they change in relation to each other.

2. How do I know if I am doing a linear question wrong?

If you are having trouble solving a linear question or your solution does not align with the expected answer, then you may be doing it wrong. Another clue is if your graph does not form a straight line.

3. What are some common mistakes when solving a linear question?

Some common mistakes when solving a linear question include not correctly identifying the variables, using the wrong formula or equation, or making calculation errors.

4. How can I improve my understanding of linear questions?

To improve your understanding of linear questions, it is important to practice solving different types of linear questions and familiarize yourself with the formulas and equations used. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor if you are struggling.

5. Are there any tips for solving linear questions more efficiently?

Yes, there are a few tips that can help you solve linear questions more efficiently. These include clearly identifying the variables, using the correct formula or equation, and double-checking your calculations. It can also be helpful to draw a graph to visualize the problem and use units to help with your calculations.