What American accent do you have?

1. Evo

Staff: Mentor

What American accent do you have?

[​IMG]

http://www.youthink.com/quiz.asp?action=take&quiz_id=9827

2. jcsd
  3. Though im australia. Currently I have a fluent american accent, due to most germans ive spoken to here have wonderful american accents and ive just happened to adopt it. But i cant tell you where its from. maybe california cause most of there have been to california.

4. North Central

What people call the "Minnesota accent." Sounds almost Canadian. You may have even been asked if you were from Canada before.

What a WRONG quiz. Im dont talk at all like a Candian, eh.

I've heard the Minnesota accent, and I dont talk like that. Quiz BAD.

5. matthyaouw

matthyaouw 1,216
    Gold Member

I'm British, and thus don't know if this is even close to correct.

6. siddharth

siddharth 1,197
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm not american, but from an "eastern" country.

7. Hurkyl

Hurkyl 16,090
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hah, it's way off. It thinks I have a Southern accent! But I'm from Michigan, I don't sound like those people from Ohio and Indiana! :tongue:

(Okay, okay, it called it "midland", but I figure if Ohioans are allowed to say I have a northern accent... :wink:)

8. Lisa!

Lisa! 990
    Gold Member

I must be British too since I've got exactly the same result!:tongue:

9. That, and...

...that.

:rofl:

10. I've a Canadian accent. Sensible, since I'm Canadian.

11. Danger

Danger 9,879
    Gold Member

I got 'Midland', and I'm not even a Yank. :grumpy:

12. Lisa!

Lisa! 990
    Gold Member

I'm don't?:confused:

13. Midland

("Midland" is not necessarily the same thing as "Midwest") The default, lowest-common-denominator American accent that newscasters try to imitate. Since it's a neutral accent, just because you have a Midland accent doesn't mean you're from the Midland.

Impressive...the map includes where I live.

14. Hurkyl

Hurkyl 16,090
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's good; Yanks are from the Northeastern U.S. :tongue:

15. North Central

What people call the "Minnesota accent." Sounds almost Canadian. You may have even been asked if you were from Canada before.

[​IMG]

Go figure.

16. Kurdt

Kurdt 4,941
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Northeastern

This could either mean an r-less NYC or Providence accent or one from Jersey which doesn't sound the same. (People in Jersey don't call their state "Joisey" in real life)

I'm also British.

17. Danger

Danger 9,879
    Gold Member

Only to other Yanks. To the rest of us, your whole damned country is full of 'em. :biggrin:

18. Hey, lets not have the farsi speakers correcting the native english speakers, MMAKAY??

Its Lisa :!!)

Im dont need you correcting me, got it?....it was a typo.

19. Danger

Danger 9,879
    Gold Member

You're not a native English speaker; you're a native Yank speaker. You probably spell 'colour' without a 'u'. :tongue:

20. Lisa!

Lisa! 990
    Gold Member

I just wanted to make sure whether that was a typo or some structure that I've never heard of!:tongue: Although at 1st I thought Canadian speak this way!:uhh:

P.S. Heaven knows how many farsi speakers I've rejected because of misspelling or making such a mistakes while speaking/writing (in) English!:tongue2:eek::)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  21. Well, I'm from St. Louis, so it was right.

Incidentally, the St. Louis accent deviates from the Midland accent slightly. Words like "forty-four" become "farty-far," and "Washington" becomes "Warshington." Of course, it's mostly older people who have the "true" St. Louis accent (including my father). I've met exactly one person my age who speaks that way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?