What apparatus can be used to capture H2O gas in a lab experiment?

  • Thread starter Thread starter MichaelXY
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 6K views
MichaelXY
Messages
93
Reaction score
0
In a lab experiment we put some MgSO4 7H2O into a crucible, and brought it to a high temperature using a Bunsen burner. After 10 minutes of heating we massed out the crucible and contents to determine the % of H2O.
Okay, I had no problem with this, and my question is this. I wish to take this experiment a step further and actually capture the H2O gas into another container so I can mass out the H2O.

I can picture a setup being similar to stated above except I would need a sealed crucible with a gas port, and another sealed container to receive the gas. My problem is that I do not know what apparatus I would use that would have the same heat resistant properties of a crucible, have a sealed lid, and also have a gas port. Does anyone know what such a apparatus would be called?

Thanks
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
High temperature (96% silica) glassware and a Liebig's condenser, ought to do the trick. You actually only need to go a little above 200C to dehydrate MgSO4.xH2O of all its hydrates, but if you want to be sure, take it up to say, 300C. Borosilicate glass is rated for only about 220-240C, but silica glass is rated for up to nearly 1000C.
 
Thanks for the reply. So do you think a setup like shown below would work?

condensor.jpg