What are Good Reference Books for Python?

In summary, the conversation discusses the lack of current and high-quality Python reference books compared to the famous "Programming Perl" book from O'Reilly. The only notable recommendation is "Python Cookbook" from O'Reilly, but the speaker admits to primarily using Google for software reference. They eventually decide to purchase a used copy of "Python in a Nutshell" for convenience.
websterling
Back in the day, when Perl was my go to language, Programming Perl, the Camel Book, from O'Reilly was The Reference. It was the quick and concise way to get an answer. And you'd probably learn something you weren't necessarily looking for and get a chuckle along the way.

Now that Python is my primary language, I realize that I don't have such a book. O'Reilly's selection of Python books seems to be sparse and dated. I've seen a few books from other publishers but none of them seem to be on the same level as the Camel Book.

So anyway, the question is- are there any good, current Python reference books?

Technology news on Phys.org
To be honest, I don't use books for software reference anymore. It is much faster to just Google what you're looking for and find it online.

Likes jedishrfu
I admit, Google has been my friend, but sometimes it's nice to have a familiar book to turn to.

After looking through the books available, I bought a used copy of the newest Python in a Nutshell for $28.

1. What are some good reference books for learning Python?

Some popular reference books for learning Python include "Python Crash Course" by Eric Matthes, "Learning Python" by Mark Lutz, and "Think Python" by Allen Downey. These books cover a wide range of topics from basic syntax to advanced concepts in Python programming.

2. Are there any free online resources for learning Python?

Yes, there are plenty of free online resources for learning Python such as Codecademy, Coursera, and YouTube tutorials. These resources offer a variety of learning materials including videos, interactive exercises, and quizzes to help you learn Python at your own pace.

3. Can you recommend a Python reference book for data analysis?

One popular reference book for data analysis in Python is "Python for Data Analysis" by Wes McKinney. This book covers fundamental concepts and tools for data analysis using Python, including data manipulation, data cleaning, and data visualization.

4. Are there any reference books that cover specific Python libraries or frameworks?

Yes, there are many reference books that focus on specific Python libraries or frameworks. Some examples include "Automate the Boring Stuff with Python" by Al Sweigart for automating tasks with Python, and "Django for Beginners" by William S. Vincent for learning the Django web framework.

5. Can you recommend a Python reference book for machine learning?

"Introduction to Machine Learning with Python" by Andreas C. Müller and Sarah Guido is a popular reference book for learning about the fundamentals of machine learning using Python. It covers topics such as classification, regression, and clustering, and also provides practical examples and code for implementing machine learning algorithms in Python.