Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are latest innovation in Power Engineering?

1. Apr 26, 2013 #1
    Hi guys. I am studying on Power Engineering and there is going to be a small conference in my University connected to my subject, so I thought I would take a place too. I Googled for a while about innovations in Power Engineering and found nothing, so can you please tell me what are some interesting news in this subject to make speech about?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

4. Apr 26, 2013 #3

berkeman

Can you be more specific about what you mean by "power engineering"? Do you mean like AC Mains power distribution from power plants to factories and homes? Or do you mean like power supplies, power semiconductors, power machinery, etc?

5. Apr 26, 2013 #4
    I mean "AC Mains power distribution from power plants to factories and homes", that is what I am interested in.

6. Apr 26, 2013 #5

berkeman

Ah. Well, almost certainly the latest innovations in AC Mains power distribution has been the emergence of the "Smart Grid". You can use Google to help you find information on it. Also, the connection of so many new "microinverters" and other small scale power generation units to the grid (like some homes and small factories have a lot of solar panels that they use to augment their power, and they can feed that power back into the grid if they are generating more power than they need at certain times...).

7. Apr 26, 2013 #6
    I have experience in the Power (utility) industry and Power Electronics -> I had a long post but realized how I need to make that thought happen on my own. So in relation to Berkman - a good discussion would be "How are Smart Grid and Renewables forcing change in the Power Utility Industry?"

For example : How does the utility and the rest of the world view reliability : carried to the smart grid : reliability of PCs vs Pole Mount Transformers.....

Oh .... a bunch of corporate lingo like "disruptive" and "game changing" -- can be added.

OH - my name is not related to wind energy - I am a windsurfer.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  8. Apr 27, 2013 #7
    Thanks guys for suggestions, I think I would gather information about "Smart Grid", what advantages and disadvantages it has and how to fix those disadvantages, how can my government implement this in my country, and so on ... Again thank you for giving me great thoughts

9. Apr 27, 2013 #8

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Peruse this site , maybe there'll be an article of interest.

http://www.power-eng.com/index.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook