What are new ways to open a cylindrical pressure vessel?

In summary, a pressure vessel could be made by slicing the cylinder down the center, perpendicular to the cross-section, and then applying a pressure seal all the way around the edge. This would reduce the need to check the equipment after each test, but would risk leaks.
Daniel Sadlier
I am currently helping one of my old physics professors and his Phd student designing a pressure vessel for ultra-sciencey detector (still figuring out the theory behind it all). So far we have the general vacuum tank that opens on the ends, with the pressure difference holding the ends on. However, the equipment needs to be checked after each test and it would be a pain to pull it all out to look at a single part (its over 1m long). Has anybody ever tried say, slicing the cylinder down the center, perpendicular to the cross-section, and then applying a pressure seal all the way around the edge? Looking for any creative ideas!

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Daniel Sadlier said:
I am currently helping one of my old physics professors and his Phd student designing a pressure vessel for ultra-sciencey detector (still figuring out the theory behind it all). So far we have the general vacuum tank that opens on the ends, with the pressure difference holding the ends on. However, the equipment needs to be checked after each test and it would be a pain to pull it all out to look at a single part (its over 1m long). Has anybody ever tried say, slicing the cylinder down the center, perpendicular to the cross-section, and then applying a pressure seal all the way around the edge? Looking for any creative ideas!

Thanks!

With such a big seal, I would worry about leaks.

Generally, with any vacuum system, it is much cheaper to buy something off-the-shelf, compared to paying someone to machine everything.

With a large "half-nipple" (I'm sorry, that is what these are called), some assorted smaller half-nipples, and a second large flange you could make a vacuum chamber that is tuna-can shaped. I used a set-up like this once, with a winch to remove the large blank flange on top. It was very easy to set everything up, there was lots of space to add things, as we changed the design. You would need to have some parts machined and welded.
MDC is one of several reputable vendors of quality vacuum hardware: http://www.mdcvacuum.com/MDCMain.aspx

You can also buy things that are closer to a finished product.
They have cubes: http://www.mdcvacuum.com/displayproductcontent.aspx?d=MDC&p=m.1.2.7.1
Standard chambers: e.g. http://www.mdcvacuum.com/DisplayProductContent.aspx?d=MDC&p=m.9.3.1.4&g=m931

The standard gasket for the high vacuum hardware is copper, but there are also rubber (viton) gaskets that will work with their standard flanges.

How deep is your vacuum?
I agree with QD, bolted flanges are easiest and safest for deep vacuum's.

1. What are some alternative materials that can be used to construct a cylindrical pressure vessel?

Some alternative materials that can be used to construct a cylindrical pressure vessel include composites, such as carbon fiber reinforced plastic (CFRP), as well as high-strength alloys like titanium and aluminum.

2. Are there any new methods for designing and fabricating cylindrical pressure vessels?

Yes, advancements in computer-aided design (CAD) and computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) have allowed for more precise and efficient design and fabrication of cylindrical pressure vessels. Additionally, new techniques such as 3D printing have shown promise in creating complex geometries.

3. How can we improve the safety and reliability of cylindrical pressure vessels?

One way to improve safety and reliability is by using non-destructive testing methods like ultrasonic and radiographic testing to detect any defects or weaknesses in the vessel. Additionally, regular maintenance and inspection can help identify any potential issues before they become a safety hazard.

4. Are there any environmentally-friendly options for opening a cylindrical pressure vessel?

One environmentally-friendly option is the use of biodegradable or non-toxic solvents for cleaning and degassing the vessel. Another option is to use renewable energy sources, such as solar or wind power, to power any necessary equipment for opening the vessel.

5. What are some safety precautions that should be taken when opening a cylindrical pressure vessel?

Some safety precautions include wearing appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) such as gloves, goggles, and a face shield. It is also important to release any built-up pressure slowly and to have a safety plan in place in case of emergencies. Proper ventilation and following manufacturer instructions are also crucial for safe vessel opening.