Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are some good polymerization chemistry experiment ideas

1. Nov 17, 2016 #1
    I'm very interested in researching polymerization chemistry for my school science fair.
    All the ideas I have are either too expensive or not complex enough.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

What have you considered?

4. Nov 17, 2016 #3
    I've been focused on epoxy resins:

I thought about testing epoxy resins and how varying hardeners (mainly focused on amines: primary amines, tertiary amines, aliphatic,etc) affect "cure time" and relative strengths (this is too expensive).

I thought about an experiment about esterification of epoxy resins. (I'm not sure what my dependent variable, like what's a good thing to solve)

I thought about simulating or modeling the cross-linking caused by epoxy resin and a "curing agent"

5. Nov 17, 2016 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Are you familiar with the various "classes" of polymerization reactions?
    Chain length?

6. Nov 18, 2016 #5
    No, not familiar.

How would you use chain length?

7. Nov 18, 2016 #6

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Look at melting points or densities as functions of chain length.

8. Nov 18, 2016 #7
    Melt point of polymers is a function of crystallinity, not molecular weight. Density too is a function of crystallinity. Molecular weight is a function of chain length and its distribution.

9. Nov 18, 2016 #8
    A good example of a cross linking reaction is body filler and hardening agent. Inexpensive and sets up quick. You ca even mold it into shapes before it hardens. Available at Wal Mart and auto parts stores everywhere. Another example is Durham's wood putty. Cross links with water.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted