What are some good polymerization chemistry experiment ideas

In summary, the conversation discusses ideas for researching polymerization chemistry for a school science fair. The speaker mentions considering epoxy resins and varying hardeners and esterification, but expresses concerns about cost and finding a suitable dependent variable. The concept of chain length as a factor in polymerization reactions is brought up, as well as using melting points and densities as measures of chain length. A specific example of a cross-linking reaction using body filler and hardening agent is also mentioned.
Sam Donovan
I'm very interested in researching polymerization chemistry for my school science fair.
All the ideas I have are either too expensive or not complex enough.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What have you considered?

Bystander said:
What have you considered?

I've been focused on epoxy resins:

I thought about testing epoxy resins and how varying hardeners (mainly focused on amines: primary amines, tertiary amines, aliphatic,etc) affect "cure time" and relative strengths (this is too expensive).

I thought about an experiment about esterification of epoxy resins. (I'm not sure what my dependent variable, like what's a good thing to solve)

I thought about simulating or modeling the cross-linking caused by epoxy resin and a "curing agent"

Are you familiar with the various "classes" of polymerization reactions?
Sam Donovan said:
my dependent variable, l
Chain length?

Bystander said:
Are you familiar with the various "classes" of polymerization reactions?
Chain length?
No, not familiar.

How would you use chain length?

Look at melting points or densities as functions of chain length.

Bystander said:
Look at melting points or densities as functions of chain length.

Melt point of polymers is a function of crystallinity, not molecular weight. Density too is a function of crystallinity. Molecular weight is a function of chain length and its distribution.

A good example of a cross linking reaction is body filler and hardening agent. Inexpensive and sets up quick. You ca even mold it into shapes before it hardens. Available at Wal Mart and auto parts stores everywhere. Another example is Durham's wood putty. Cross links with water.

1. What is polymerization chemistry?

Polymerization chemistry is the branch of chemistry that deals with the reactions and processes involved in the formation of polymers, which are large molecules made up of repeating units called monomers.

2. What are some potential applications of polymerization chemistry?

Polymerization chemistry has a wide range of applications, including creating new materials for industries such as packaging, textiles, and construction, as well as developing new drug delivery systems and medical devices.

3. What are some important factors to consider when designing a polymerization chemistry experiment?

Some key factors to consider when designing a polymerization chemistry experiment include the type of monomers used, the choice of catalyst or initiator, the reaction conditions (e.g. temperature, pressure), and the desired properties of the resulting polymer.

4. Can you provide some examples of polymerization chemistry experiments that can be done at home?

Yes, there are several polymerization chemistry experiments that can be done at home with simple materials, such as making slime using polyvinyl alcohol and borax, or creating a bouncy ball using cornstarch and glue.

5. What are some potential challenges or limitations to consider when conducting polymerization chemistry experiments?

Some potential challenges or limitations to keep in mind when conducting polymerization chemistry experiments include the need for specialized equipment, the potential hazards of working with chemicals, and the complexity of controlling the reaction process and obtaining desired results.