What are some good tips for pre-university students?

In summary, to prepare for a career in science during high school, one should start early by engaging in science fair projects and taking advanced science and math classes. They should also get involved in science-related clubs and go above and beyond by reading, talking to professionals, and studying even if they find high school easy. It is important to still enjoy high school and keep options open for potential changes in career goals. These tips are also beneficial for college admissions.
TheNerdConstant
Hey guys!

I'm asking all the people out there if you could redo high school what are some of the things you would do to get ready for a career in science?

I would love to get a career in theoretical physics and being such a vast subject I was seeking some insight as to what would be a great way to get ahead.

Physics news on Phys.org
1. Get started early. I know many high schools require science fair projects. Don't treat them as a chore and pick an easy, boring experiment--they're an opportunity for you to really explore science.

2. Take as many science and math classes as you can. If your school offers AP calculus/physics/biology/chemistry, take them.

3. Get involved with clubs around your school involving science. If they don't exist, talk to the right people and make them exist (this is what I had to do with my school's science club). Science clubs, robotics clubs, math clubs, etc.

4. Go above and beyond. Don't just learn the bare minimum of the material. Read about it on your own time. Read the textbook. Talk to professionals. Ask things that WON'T be on the test. And very importantly, just because you may find high school easily, DO NOT use that as an excuse to not study. Firstly, because you still need good grades. Second, even if you do make good grades without studying, you will be surprised at how much of the stuff (I'm speaking particularly about math here) you will need in college without realizing it. Don't just forget everything. Learn it.

5. Still enjoy high school. Your attitudes, goals, and opinions WILL change throughout high school. I promise you that. That career in science dream may even change some day. Don't throw all your eggs in one basket. Work towards your dream, but at the same time, explore other fields the world has to offer, and remember to enjoy school. Keep your options open, is what I'm saying.

Many of these tips are the things colleges look at in their admissions processes. One can be successful at any school (I didn't follow all of these tips. I still performed well academically and got into some very good schools, but I chose a lower tier one that I get to go to for free), and the choice of which kind of school you go to is up to you. But like I said: keep your options open.

What are some good tips for pre-university students?

Some good tips for pre-university students include:

• Develop good study habits and time management skills to stay on top of your coursework.
  • Get involved in extracurricular activities and clubs to explore your interests and build your resume.
  • Start preparing for college entrance exams, such as the SAT or ACT, early on to give yourself enough time to improve your scores.
  • Build strong relationships with your teachers and mentors who can provide guidance and support throughout your academic journey.
  • Take advantage of resources and opportunities provided by your school, such as tutoring services and college fairs.