What Are Some Tips for Successful Gardening?

In summary, we put in a huge garden and had a green thumb from the get-go. We still have a garden, although it's a little smaller now. We mainly grow vegetables, fruits, and flowers. I've been a pretty avid gardener at times but not for eating, just for looking.
  • #1,961
No reasonably large water body close to Evo's place.

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,962
Evo said:
shape of the head is wrong for a goshawk. I'm thinking it's a mutant red tail, because when it's flying overhead, there are rust colored feathers on the underside of the tail. It just really doesn't fit in with any hawk descripttion I've seen. I have plenty of other hawks that are normal, this one is really unusual from the front.
It could be a variant.

There are some hawks that cross-breed, but I don't know how common. I think redtails cross-breed with one or two other species.

As for the beak, if it was looking downward toward the ground, it might appear the beak is flush with the face. Hawks have protruding beaks, but owls have short beaks close to the face, and that is definitely not an owl.

I doubt that is a harrier. We have harriers in our area, and they nest primarily along the major river, and perhaps near certain lakes and streams - basically where there are plenty of fish.

• #1,963
Looks a lot like a Harris Hawk to me but what's it doing in this part of the country. They usually stay in the far south or Mexico.
http://folk.uib.no/oodre/Gallerier/Blog/Harris%20Hawk.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,964
Evo said:
I got a picture of the NotaGoshawk!

notagoshawkrear.jpg

From a distance, from the back, with his head blocked by a branch... :cry:

this look like a gravy/sauce boat stuck in the tree

• #1,965
OMG, rewebster, you're not dead!

• #1,966
I'm that sauce pan in the tree

• #1,967
rewebster said:
I'm that sauce pan in the tree
I have to ban you now for being AWOL.

• #1,968
Welcome back Rewebster

I entered another crop of this picture of a Harris hawk in the photo contest, several months ago.

t5m7iv.jpg

• #1,969
Evo said:

AWOL= Apparently Wondering On Life

• #1,970
Andre said:
Welcome back Rewebster

I entered another crop of this picture of a Harris hawk in the photo contest, several months ago.

t5m7iv.jpg

HEY! ANDRE!----that looks like its been crossed with a macaw with those colors

• #1,971
Evo said:

I read your 'story' in the 'relationships' thread-------

sounds like that guy was a peacock with a set of bad feathers

Last edited:
  • #1,972
Evo said:
OMG, rewebster, you're not dead!

After re-reading this and thinking about it, I'm humbled that that was your first thought about my absence

• #1,973
I got this shot accidently, I was going to take a picture of my dog falling into 3 foot deep snow, but he stopped for a "break". See the snowflake next to the bat? There are 4 more, but this one is the biggest.

snowflakefruitbat.jpg

• #1,974
Oh come on, that snowflake is cool!

• #1,975
Evo said:
Oh come on, that snowflake is cool!

Lol...yes it is!

But to tell you the truth, I was so busy trying to figure out the geometry of the dog, it took a while to see the flake :smile:.

• #1,976
lisab said:
Lol...yes it is!

But to tell you the truth, I was so busy trying to figure out the geometry of the dog, it took a while to see the flake :smile:.
Ahaha, I didn't notice the snowflakes at first either, kurdt noticed.

• #1,977
So, what do you grow in your garden?

• #1,978
Borek said:
So, what do you grow in your garden?
Pees. Uh, peas. :approve:

• #1,979
I tried broccoli this last year. After chopping off the main head, I let the plants still remain and I picked small florets all the way up until the first freeze.

I didn't get around to turning the soil this fall and adding compose, fert., and peat, and that was the first time I hadn't. It will be interesting to see if things do as well this next year.

• #1,980
rewebster said:
I tried broccoli this last year. After chopping off the main head, I let the plants still remain and I picked small florets all the way up until the first freeze.

I didn't get around to turning the soil this fall and adding compose, fert., and peat, and that was the first time I hadn't. It will be interesting to see if things do as well this next year.
We had two types of broccoli last season. One type had a single large head, and the other type had multiple smaller heads that were not as tightly packed. Overall, we got more usable food out of the type with the multiple heads, plus the stalks were smaller and more tender.

• #1,981
"Overall, we got more usable food out of the type with the multiple heads, plus the stalks were smaller and more tender."

I haven't seen that---did you grow from seed?

• #1,982
rewebster said:
"Overall, we got more usable food out of the type with the multiple heads, plus the stalks were smaller and more tender."

I haven't seen that---did you grow from seed?
My neighbor started them in his greenhouse. I think the variety might be De Cicco. Once you cut the main head, multiple florets develop on the side branches.

The ones with the larger single heads were started by my sister-in-law.

• #1,983
hey, turbo (or anyone)--

has anyone tried to grow or has grown the kiwi plant vines available for the more mid to northern zones?

• #1,984
There are none offered by the big seed companies in Maine, so I doubt that we could grow them without a greenhouse.

• #1,985
I've forgotten the name of this bird and he's not in my little bird book. Sorry, he would not stay still and I had to photograph him through a screen.

whatisitt.jpg

• #1,986
Evo said:
I've forgotten the name of this bird and he's not in my little bird book. Sorry, he would not stay still and I had to photograph him through a screen.

whatisitt.jpg
That's a starling in winter trim. He should be in the book - VERY common bird.

• #1,987
Thank you! I was thinking it was a starling. The picture of a starling in the book is too tiny make heads or tails out of it. They drop by here rarely.

• #1,988
Most starlings in this area flock up and head south before winter. Warning: Don't park your car under a tree full of starlings.

• #1,989
dlgoff said:
Most starlings in this area flock up and head south before winter. Warning: Don't park your car under a tree full of starlings.
I was doing some consulting work in KY one fall, and the groves surrounding fields west of Paducah were covered with starlings. There might have been over a million - I have never seen such huge flocks of any birds before. They blackened the skies.

• #1,990
This bodes well for my gardens if he sticks around. A beautiful little mink. Minks eat voles, field mice, red squirrels, etc. It will be a real bonus if it's a female looking for a nice place to raise babies. The mink was running around in my back yard, circling the pond, diving into the snow and popping out in unexpected places.

We have fishers here, too, though they tend to concentrate on larger animals like porcupines. Minks are a perfect fit for small rodents.
mink.jpg

• #1,991
rewebster said:
hey, turbo (or anyone)--

has anyone tried to grow or has grown the kiwi plant vines available for the more mid to northern zones?

I have a 5 or 6 year old female kolomikta vine that is doing extremely well, but I am not doing well in the male department... If my one surviving male (2nd time ordering :mad:) makes it through the winter, I should have a great crop this year. But it seems the males die on me each winter. I hear they (arctic beauty) are good down to zone 3.

• #1,992
Ms Music said:
I have a 5 or 6 year old female kolomikta vine that is doing extremely well, but I am not doing well in the male department... If my one surviving male (2nd time ordering :mad:) makes it through the winter, I should have a great crop this year. But it seems the males die on me each winter. I hear they (arctic beauty) are good down to zone 3.
I have heard the same thing, but I have a hard time coughing up $35 for one male and one female vine. So many "cold-hardy" vines and trees just don't survive here. We are supposedly Zone 4, but I find that claims of cold-hardiness on the part of commercial nurseries are just hype, and can lead one into some very costly mistakes.

• #1,993
It seemed like the cold weather came/sneaked in earlier (or something) this last year---I missed my fall turning over of the soil (and adding all the 'stuff' in)

• #1,994
rewebster said:
It seemed like the cold weather came/sneaked in earlier (or something) this last year---I missed my fall turning over of the soil (and adding all the 'stuff' in)

Me too, somehow :redface:. Anyone have any suggestions?

• #1,995
if it warms early I'll turn it then, but otherwise, I just won't add as much 'stuff'----I usually add a lot, and if I added all that I normally do in the fall, it may do something to the roots

Back