What Are the Advantages of Single Stage Rockets Over Multi-Stage Rockets?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Januz Johansen
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Rocket Rocket science
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Januz Johansen
Messages
34
Reaction score
1
Hello
You have all been very helpfull with all my quistions about multi stage rockets and so, but I am only left with one quistion. I know a multi stage rocket is better, but can somebody show me a specific exambel where a single stage rocket is more advantageable, or link to a website where i can see, that would be great :D
Thanks for all your help
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Januz Johansen said:
Hello
You have all been very helpfull with all my quistions about multi stage rockets and so, but I am only left with one quistion. I know a multi stage rocket is better, but can somebody show me a specific exambel where a single stage rocket is more advantageable, or link to a website where i can see, that would be great :D
Thanks for all your help

A bottle rocket. It is better when low cost, simplicity, east of transportation and operation, and self-contined launch facilities, are the dominant factors..
k
Texas_Bottle_Rocket.png


If you don't like this answer, then you must define what you mean by advantageous or better.
 
anorlunda said:
A bottle rocket. It is better when low cost, simplicity, east of transportation and operation, and self-contined launch facilities, are the dominant factors..
k
Texas_Bottle_Rocket.png


If you don't like this answer, then you must define what you mean by advantageous or better.
Hello, yes, i mean when do you get fx. a higher velocity, or using less fuel to achieve the same. I have heard that a single stage rocket should be better when traveling for short distances, it that correct?
Thanks
 
As I indicated in the multi-stage discussion, the single stage produces a higher final velocity if the extra mass of the second stage rockets and mating structure is greater than the mass of the empty first stage. It's actually a little worse that because the first stage has to carry all the extra mass too. I won't reproduce the equations here because I produced the full comparison in a previous post. Just plug in some numbers.
 
Cutter Ketch said:
As I indicated in the multi-stage discussion, the single stage produces a higher final velocity if the extra mass of the second stage rockets and mating structure is greater than the mass of the empty first stage. It's actually a little worse that because the first stage has to carry all the extra mass too. I won't reproduce the equations here because I produced the full comparison in a previous post. Just plug in some numbers.
Oh ok yes i see it now, i have been playing around with some numbers, and it makes more sens now, thanks to both of you, and thanks @Cutter Ketch for helping me out with all my questions
hope you will help me again in the future, i really appreciate that you took the time to helping me out with basic question :D