Is it always better to use multi stage rockets?

• B
  • Thread starter Januz Johansen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rockets
In summary, the use of a single stage rocket versus a multi-stage rocket depends on various factors such as the desired velocity, payload weight, and distance of travel. Multi-stage rockets have an advantage for long range or heavy lifting due to the weight of expended fuel tanks being dispensed with, but they also introduce engineering complications and potential failure during stage separation. There is an optimum number of stages for a rocket, with two stages being advantageous until the first stage structure outweighs the added structure and rocket motors needed for a multi-stage system.
Januz Johansen
Hello all!
I was wondering if there is a scenario,
where a single stage rocket will be superior to a multi-stage rocket, and if so, why?
i'm under the impression that multi stage is always better, but i don't think that is entirely correct.

Good day to you all

Physics news on Phys.org
Your question is very vague. The V2 (single stage) is a rocket that had more impact on England that the American space program's multi-stage rockets, so I'd guess it depends on what you want to do.

phinds said:
Your question is very vague. The V2 (single stage) is a rocket that had more impact on England that the American space program's multi-stage rockets, so I'd guess it depends on what you want to do.

Oh yes sorry i see what you mean. I mean is it always better to use a multi stage rocket to getting a higher velocity, lifting a bigger payload, or traveling longer. Or are there some cases where it is cheeper or in any way better to use a single stage rocket to achieve one of these things.
Thanks

Januz Johansen said:
Oh yes sorry i see what you mean. I mean is it always better to use a multi stage rocket to getting a higher velocity, lifting a bigger payload, or traveling longer. Or are there some cases where it is cheeper or in any way better to use a single stage rocket to achieve one of these things.
That's still pretty vague.

What trade-offs can you think of between the competing approaches?

Multi stage rockets have an advantage for long range or heavy lifting because the weight of expended fuel tanks is dispensed with,
which means the rocket makes more effective use of the remaining fuel.
On the other hand multiple stages introduce engineering complications, and stage separation is often the cause of a failure.

Likes fresh_42 and Januz Johansen
rootone said:
Multi stage rockets have an advantage for long range or heavy lifting because the weight of expended fuel tanks is dispensed with,
which means the rocket makes more effective use of the remaining fuel.
On the other hand multiple stages introduce engineering complications, and stage separation is often the cause of a failure.
Thank you rootone :D

Ideally, you would have a Rocket motor with zero mass - all the mass would be in the fuel and ejects. A solid fuel rocket is nearer ideal but it is not controllable.
When reusable first stages can work reliably, you have the best of both worlds (for Earth launches, at least). That is work in progress. There is nothing fundamentally desirable about a single stage system, I think.

Likes Januz Johansen
If multistage was always better then there wouldn't be a limit to the number of stages. We would have rockets with 10, 20, 30... stages. So must be an optimum number of stages and I imagine that's depends on a bunch of factors.

Likes mfb, sophiecentaur and jbriggs444
CWatters said:
If multistage was always better then there wouldn't be a limit to the number of stages. We would have rockets with 10, 20, 30... stages. So must be an optimum number of stages and I imagine that's depends on a bunch of factors.
This could be achieved with a solid fuel arrangement in which the structure of the combustion chamber was part of the fuel and would be eroded and ejected at the same rate as the fuel was used up. An infinite number of stages.
One limiting factor with multi stages of the conventional style is that the combustion mechanism needs to have strength to deal with the forces involved. This is an overhead with each stage.

The advantage of a two stage rocket is that you get to drop the structure of the first stage so that the fuel of the second stage isn't being used to accelerate dead weight. The disadvantage is the extra structure and rocket motors you have to carry in order to have the staged system. Two stages cease to be advantageous at the point that the structure you get to drop weighs less than the extra structure and rocket motors you have to add in order to be able to drop the first stage.

Ok, that's oversimplifying a little in that the first stage also had to carry that extra second stage weight, but that's the basic idea.

In detail, let m1 be the mass of the first stage structure. Let f1 be the mass of the first stage fuel. Let f2 be the second stage fuel. Let m2 be the mass of the structure needed to add a second stages worth of fuel to a single stage rocket. Let me be the extra mass to make it truly a second stage. Let mp be the mass of the payload. Let ve be the exhaust velocity, and let the burn rate be constant.

For a single stage rocket:

v final = ve ln[(f1+m1+f2+m2 + mp)/(m1+m2+mp)]

For a two stage

v final = ve ln[(f1+m1+f2+m2 + mp + me)/(m1+m2+mp+me+f2)] + ve ln[(f2+m2+me + mp )/(m2+me+mp )]

Divide the two stage v by the single stage v and see when the ratio >1. Basically as long as m1 is significantly larger than me two stages are better.

Likes Januz Johansen

1. What is a multi stage rocket?

A multi stage rocket is a type of rocket that uses multiple stages or sections to reach its desired altitude. Each stage of the rocket contains its own engines and fuel supply, and once a stage is depleted, it separates from the rest of the rocket and falls back to Earth. This allows the remaining stages to continue the journey to space.

2. How does a multi stage rocket work?

A multi stage rocket works by using the principle of staging, which involves separating the rocket into different sections that can be discarded once they have burned through their fuel. This reduces the overall weight of the rocket, allowing it to reach higher altitudes with less fuel consumption.

3. Is it always better to use multi stage rockets?

It depends on the specific mission and goals of the rocket. Multi stage rockets are typically more efficient and can reach higher altitudes, but they also require more complex and expensive technology. For shorter missions or smaller payloads, single stage rockets may be a more cost-effective option.

4. What are the advantages of using multi stage rockets?

The main advantage of using multi stage rockets is their ability to reach higher altitudes and carry heavier payloads. They also have greater fuel efficiency, as the discarded stages reduce the overall weight of the rocket. Additionally, multi stage rockets can be designed for specific missions, allowing for more flexibility in space exploration.

5. Are there any disadvantages to using multi stage rockets?

The main disadvantage of multi stage rockets is their complexity and cost. The technology and engineering required to build and launch a multi stage rocket is more advanced and expensive compared to a single stage rocket. In addition, the discarded stages can contribute to space debris, which can be a hazard for future space missions.