Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the applications of Reactance Diagram?

1. Mar 8, 2010 #1
    Hi there!

I am just wondering about the applications of reactance diagram in the real world. What are the uses of this diagram?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2010 #2
    Reactance diagram can be used to analyse phase shift, impedance as a function of frequency and a lot more. Reactance diagram works on the basic concept of vectors....

4. Mar 8, 2010 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I use it quite often. I need to know the impedance of inductors and capacitors at various frequencies for many of the analog circuits I'm working with, and the diagram is a lot quicker than a calculator:

http://thediagram.com/3_6/reactance.html

I also use it to tell me what LC combo to use for resonance at some frequency that I might need. Very handy tool. I actually have a copy taped right there on my office wall, and another copy on my lab bench out in the lab. And one in my "Crib Sheets" binder (actually 2 binders -- one here at work and one at home).

5. Mar 10, 2010 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Now that's what I call a historic diagram - megacycles and kilocycles. When in the business, I also had one on the wall. Faster than a calculator and you could draw your own lines on it - like at 50 and 600 Ohms.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook