What Are the Best Books for a Future Physics Student to Study Over Summer?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Dan A
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
In the fall i will be starting my physics degree. I would like to begin studying over the summer because i really don't have much better to do. In high school I took up to pre-calculus, so I would like some books to begin learning calc, and then physics books to study after i learn some calculus concepts. Also some algebra based physics books would be nice to start before i learn the calculus concepts. Any recommendations?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
A classic calculus text for many years has been CALCULUS AND ANALYTIC GEOMETRY
by George B Thomas. My copy is 1960!

I checked Amazon: $488 new; used, starting at about $5.

Another approach is to find what calculus and physics texts your college uses this fall...and study those.

Also: If you have the opportunity to choose some electives, find out what you would need for a second degree...say in math. I took some extra math courses as electives as an undergraduate engineering major and nobody ever told me that if I had taken just two or three more math courses I could have gotten a math degree as well!. A variation is to go to summer classes if you can get a few xtra courses you need/want.
 
Last edited: