What Are the Best Dimensions and Materials for High Vacuum Transparent Tubes?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
Kamil19991
Hello
For the purpose of the experiment, I wonder what the maximum dimensions can have a transparent tube, I thought over a diameter of 30cm and a length of 1-1,5m and from what material should such a pipe be made. I would like to get a high vacuum (about 0,2-2Pa)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Kamil19991 said:
Hello
For the purpose of the experiment, I wonder what the maximum dimensions can have a transparent tube, I thought over a diameter of 30cm and a length of 1-1,5m and from what material should such a pipe be made. I would like to get a high vacuum (about 0,2-2Pa)
I don't see how you can specify a theoretical limit since you could just make thicker and thicker glass tubes as the size goes up. What's your point in asking?
 
phinds said:
I don't see how you can specify a theoretical limit since you could just make thicker and thicker glass tubes as the size goes up. What's your point in asking?
So what thickness should the glass have in such a size to withstand?
 
Kamil19991 said:
So what thickness should the glass have in such a size to withstand?
I have no idea. I ask AGAIN ... What's your point in asking?
 
phinds said:
I have no idea. I ask AGAIN ... What's your point in asking?

Not very constructive advice methinks. How about you take a timeout.

OP have you tried using a parabolic function?
 
Kamil19991 said:
So what thickness should the glass have in such a size to withstand?
How long is a string?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: phinds
Kuzon said:
Not very constructive advice methinks.

Trying to find out why someone is asking a question can in fact be the most constructive approach, in my experience. Often the questioner doesn't have a well-formed question, and so attempting to answer it is not very constructive.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Vanadium 50 and NTL2009