Calculating Best Dimensions for an Airfoil

In summary, the conversation involved someone seeking help on designing an airfoil for a wind turbine blade. They mentioned their lack of familiarity with this field of engineering and their desire to use formulas to determine the best ratio(s) for dimensions. Another person then shared a link to a blade design program for wind turbines. Additionally, the conversation referenced a study by Risø DTU on using a flexible trailing edge to control loads on wind turbine blades.
Beau Brown
Hello all,

I'm trying to design an efficient airfoil for a wind turbine blade. To be entirely honest, I'm not entirely familiar with this field of engineering; I mainly specialize with steam applications, so this design attempt is obviously a somewhat far cry from that! Yet I've been trying to get myself as acquainted as possible with the design of airfoils, and now I'm here for help.

What I'm looking for is a way to plug in various formulas, such as the lift and drag coefficients, so that I can determine the best ratio(s) of the chambers and chord length; or just the best ratio of dimensions (if possible!).

All the best,
-BB

Physics news on Phys.org
Beau Brown said:
Hello all,

I'm trying to design an efficient airfoil for a wind turbine blade. To be entirely honest, I'm not entirely familiar with this field of engineering; I mainly specialize with steam applications, so this design attempt is obviously a somewhat far cry from that! Yet I've been trying to get myself as acquainted as possible with the design of airfoils, and now I'm here for help.

What I'm looking for is a way to plug in various formulas, such as the lift and drag coefficients, so that I can determine the best ratio(s) of the chambers and chord length; or just the best ratio of dimensions (if possible!).

All the best,
-BB

Welcome to the PF.

This isn't what you are looking for exactly, but may still give you some additional ideas and resources:

February 17, 2010

Controllable Rubber Trailing Edge Flap May Ease Stress on Wind Turbine Blades

Risø DTU Reports results successful results of wind tunnel tests on CRTEF for wind turbine blades.
by Risø National Laboratory for Sustainable Energy
Lunderskov, Denmark [RenewableEnergyWorld.com]
For some years, the Wind Energy Division at Risø DTU has been working to develop a method for controlling the loads on large wind turbine blades using a flexible trailing edge made of an elastic material which can be controlled by means of compressed air or hydraulics. Now, the invention, which has been called CRTEF (Controllable Rubber Trailing Edge Flap), has been tested in a wind tunnel with promising results.

More: http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/rea/news/article/2010/02/controllable-rubber-trailing-edge-flap-may-ease-stress-on-wind-turbine-blades

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do you calculate the best dimensions for an airfoil?

The best dimensions for an airfoil can be calculated using various methods such as analytical methods, computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations, and wind tunnel testing. These methods involve analyzing the aerodynamic performance of different airfoil shapes and dimensions, taking into account factors such as lift, drag, and stall characteristics.

2. What are the key factors to consider when calculating the best dimensions for an airfoil?

The key factors to consider when calculating the best dimensions for an airfoil include the desired lift and drag characteristics, the operating conditions (such as airspeed and angle of attack), and the overall design objectives. Other factors that may affect the optimal dimensions include the shape and size of the aircraft, the intended use, and any constraints or limitations.

3. How does the angle of attack affect the best dimensions for an airfoil?

The angle of attack, which is the angle at which the airfoil meets the airflow, has a significant impact on the best dimensions for an airfoil. Generally, a higher angle of attack leads to higher lift and drag, but can also result in stalling. Therefore, the optimal dimensions may vary depending on the desired angle of attack and the operating conditions.

4. Is there a one-size-fits-all solution for calculating the best dimensions for an airfoil?

No, there is no one-size-fits-all solution for calculating the best dimensions for an airfoil. The optimal dimensions will vary depending on the specific design objectives, operating conditions, and other factors mentioned above. It is important to carefully analyze and test different airfoil shapes and dimensions to determine the best solution for a particular application.

5. How important is it to accurately calculate the best dimensions for an airfoil?

Accurately calculating the best dimensions for an airfoil is crucial for achieving optimal aerodynamic performance and overall efficiency. A poorly designed airfoil can result in reduced lift, increased drag, and other undesirable effects that can impact the performance and safety of an aircraft. Therefore, it is essential to carefully calculate and optimize the dimensions to ensure the best possible results.