1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the best high-energy physics establishments?

Tags:
  1. Sep 8, 2014 #1
    I am thinking of places to do summer work placements in the high-energy physics field between each year of my degree.

I have thought of CERN (of course) and Fermilab as the two definites. However I am struggling to think of a third. Also, I would prefer Europe/US so this rules out T2K. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2014 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You do realize that these are extraordinarily competitive, right? You don't just decide you're going to zip off to CERN for the summer.

4. Sep 8, 2014 #3
    Of course, I meant it in the sense that it is a definite place that I will apply. Any useful information in relation to the original question?

5. Sep 8, 2014 #4
    BNL? Not sure how relevant RHIC is to the high-energy crowd.

6. Sep 8, 2014 #5

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

How about DESY?

7. Sep 8, 2014 #6
  8. Sep 8, 2014 #7
    Thanks for that link, it had quite a few interesting possibilities for me to look at!

9. Sep 22, 2014 #8
    There are 3000 physicists from all around the world who spend some time at CERN, and some time back at their home universities. So it might be worth exploring possibilities at Universities with heavy involvement at CERN. Read "Smashing Physics" by Jon Butterworth - he's a professor at UCL, so there's somewhere to look for starters! He mentions other universities with heavy involvement, plus has great tips for applying for positions - like, he says he's fed up with students saying they want to do string theory, so stress you want to do experimental high energy physics :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook