What Are the Career Opportunities in Plasma Physics Beyond Nuclear Fusion?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Itchtakov
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hi. I'm thinking of doing a PhD in plasma physics, ideally to get into nuclear fusion research. But I am a little concerned that the opportunities with plasma physics are a little narrow. Does anyone know anything about its uses or otherwise in industry/non-fusion research? Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Itchtakov said:
Hi. I'm thinking of doing a PhD in plasma physics, ideally to get into nuclear fusion research. But I am a little concerned that the opportunities with plasma physics are a little narrow. Does anyone know anything about its uses or otherwise in industry/non-fusion research? Thanks.

i'm actually considering the same thing. I've followed the recent developments in fusion for a while a now and have borrowed a number of books on particle physics and plasma physics.

I can't say how fast it will be as ITER is still experimental. We'd have to wait until 2018 at least for a definitive market for fusion.

I'd pursue it in hopes of working on fusion research, possibly contributing to faster fusion development.
 
Well, its used in astrophysics as well, a lot of the terrestial fusion researchers were originally studying astrophysical plasmas. I think it might help in certain types of propulsion methods too like the ion drives but I'm not sure how many plasma physicists are involved.

I don't think the opportunities are ridiculously narrow, but it doesn't have as many applications as solid state physics etc.
 
Ian_Brooks said:
I can't say how fast it will be as ITER is still experimental. We'd have to wait until 2018 at least for a definitive market for fusion.

Just out of curiosity. Why that date in particular?