What are the correct conclusions for the change in entropy in this reaction?

  • Thread starter Thread starter tensirk
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Entropy Reaction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
tensirk
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Which of the following conclusions is correct for the change in entropy for this reaction? You must find all of the correct answers.
Ag(l) --> Ag(s) (1atm, 25°C)

1. ΔSsys < 0
2. ΔSuniv > 0
3. The sign of ΔSsys cannot be determined.
4. ΔSsys > 0
5. The sign of ΔSuniv cannot be determined.
7. ΔSuniv < 0

Homework Equations


liquid --> solid = ΔS< 0.

The Attempt at a Solution


The reaction is more orderly because it goes from a liquid to a solid. I am pretty positive that number 1 is, therefore, correct. However, I am unsure of what happens to ΔSuniverse. Any suggestions/hints/information are much appreciated!
***It's been quite a loooong day and I have accidentally entered this as a Physics problem when it's actually Chemistry according to the subject I'm currently working on. Agh...
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ahh, I've figured it out. Nevermind to this question.