1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the different solid state devices?

1. Sep 16, 2011 #1
    I know that the first solid solid state device is: A semiconductor diode what about transistors? Is it not a solid state device? Explain me the difference between solid state device and semiconductor device.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2011 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

You contrast solid state devices versus vacuum tube devices. Vacuum tube diodes and amplifiers came first, so when silicon diodes and transistors were invented, they were referred to as "solid state" since they did not use electrons moving in a vacuum to work.

4. Sep 16, 2011 #3
    I read in wikipedia that in general there are three solid state devices : transistors, microprocessor chips and DRAM. My question is why diode is not considered as solid state device and also i want to know why microprocessor chip is categorized as seperate solid state device when infact, they are made of transistors. The same is done with Drams. Your views?

5. Sep 16, 2011 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Don't know about the wikipedia article. Sounds like it needs editing.

Solid state generally refers to semiconductor devices.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook