What are the factors to consider when calculating heat change in a wire loop?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
TheWire247
Messages
15
Reaction score
0
I am trying to calculate what the heat change from room temperature is in a wire loop is. I have the power P, the thermal conductivity K , the radius of the wire "a" and the radius of the loop "r". Using Fourier's Law:

[itex]P = -KA \frac{\Delta T}{\Delta x}[/itex]

I am unsure what to use as A and [itex]\Delta x[/itex]. I have the idea that A would be surface area of the wire ([itex]4 \pi^{2} a r[/itex]) and [itex]\Delta x[/itex] would be the just a. Is my thinking right?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
A is indeed the surface of the wire. Delta(x) is the distance between the end points. With the radius of the loop you should be able to get delta(x)!
 
What do you mean by the end points. Is that the length of the wire?
 
TheWire247 said:
What do you mean by the end points. Is that the length of the wire?

Yes!
 
The set-up still isn't clear. 'Loop' implies no ends; between what points is there a temperature difference? Without a temperature difference no heat will flow.