What are the final velocities of two balls after an elastic head-on collision?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Arooj
Messages
39
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A 2.0 kg ball is traveling east at 8.0 m/s when it has a perfectly elastic head-on collision with a 3.0 kg ball traveling west at 10.0 m/s. What are the final velocities of the two balls?


Homework Equations



http://www.nvcc.edu/home/tstantcheva/231files/G09_hw.pdf
 
I used the derived equation from page 4.

The Attempt at a Solution


For the 2.0 kg ball I got -13.6 m/s.
For the 3.0 kg ball I got -15.6 m/s.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please show your work. The new speeds for both balls are faster than either initial speed. Elastic collisions conserve energy. Your speeds indicate energy was somehow created.
 
vf1 = ((m1)(v1) + m2((2*v2) - v1)) / m1 + m2
vf1 = (16 + 3(-20 - 8))/5
vf1 = -13.6 m/s

vf2 = v1 + vf1 - v2
vf2 = 8 + -13.6 - 10
vf2= -15.6 m/s

I'm assuming my problem is from setting the values of the speeds in the opposite direction to negative, but I thought this must be done?
 
You have a sign error for the second velocity. What is -v2?
 
Ah I see what I did wrong, v2 = 4.4 , and v1 = -13.6, substituting them into the conservation of momentum equation yields 14 = 14.
 
You are right. Since you're checking momentum, you should also check energy as well. There are two conservation theorems to satisfy.