What are the most abundant elements in the Biosphere?

• Thread starter Hybr!d
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elements
In summary, the conversation was about a list of elements and their abundance on Earth, particularly in the biosphere. The list included oxygen, silicon, aluminium, and others, and the individual was unsure if the information was accurate. Suggestions were made to add hydrogen, carbon, and nitrogen to the list. Ultimately, the individual was able to get the information they needed.
Hybr!d
My list is this.

1) Oxygen with 51%
2) Silicon with 25%
3) Aluminium with 7%
4) Others
I am not sure of these because I found them on the web and every site is different. I want to make sure so please anyone with Information post.

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone got the answers because I really need it. Thanks

This is supposed to be in Homework help. You say "biosphere." Is this for an environmental science course, 8th grade general science, or what? What you've listed for the first four are "planetary abundancesk," of which the "big eight" are O, Al, Si, Na, Mg, Ca, K, Fe; not much life there. What your text, instructor, or course outline means by "biosphere" can not be intuited without you informing us about the level and title of the course.

Hybr!d said:
My list is this.

1) Oxygen with 51%
2) Silicon with 25%
3) Aluminium with 7%
4) Others
I am not sure of these because I found them on the web and every site is different. I want to make sure so please anyone with Information post.

Well others is all the other 89 naturally occurring elements.

Try hydrogen, as in two atoms of H for each atom of O in a water molecule.

Then carbon is pretty abundant - in all the life that is part of the biosphere.

And nitrogen - 78% of air.

Thanks guys I got it. Astronuc thanks for your input because the suggestions you made where quite right :)

What are the most abundant elements in the Biosphere?

The most abundant elements in the Biosphere are oxygen, carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen, and phosphorus.

Why are these elements the most abundant in the Biosphere?

These elements make up the building blocks of life and are essential for the survival and growth of living organisms.

How do these elements cycle through the Biosphere?

These elements are cycled through the Biosphere through various processes such as photosynthesis, respiration, decomposition, and nutrient recycling.

What role do these elements play in the environment?

Oxygen is essential for respiration and is also a key component of the atmosphere. Carbon is the basis of organic molecules and is important for the carbon cycle. Hydrogen is found in water and many organic compounds. Nitrogen is a crucial element for building proteins and DNA. Phosphorus is important for energy transfer and is a key nutrient in the growth of plants.

What impact does human activity have on the abundance of these elements in the Biosphere?

Human activity, such as burning fossil fuels and deforestation, can disrupt the natural cycling of these elements and lead to imbalances in their abundance in the Biosphere. This can have negative impacts on the environment and the organisms that rely on these elements for survival.