1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the most abundant elements in the Biosphere?

1. Feb 25, 2006 #1
    My list is this.

1) Oxygen with 51%
    2) Silicon with 25%
    3) Aluminium with 7%
    4) Others
    I am not sure of these because I found them on the web and every site is different. I want to make sure so please anyone with Information post.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2006 #2
    Anyone got the answers because I really need it. Thanks

4. Feb 25, 2006 #3

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is supposed to be in Homework help. You say "biosphere." Is this for an environmental science course, 8th grade general science, or what? What you've listed for the first four are "planetary abundancesk," of which the "big eight" are O, Al, Si, Na, Mg, Ca, K, Fe; not much life there. What your text, instructor, or course outline means by "biosphere" can not be intuited without you informing us about the level and title of the course.

5. Mar 3, 2006 #4

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Well others is all the other 89 naturally occuring elements.

Try hydrogen, as in two atoms of H for each atom of O in a water molecule.

Then carbon is pretty abundant - in all the life that is part of the biosphere.

And nitrogen - 78% of air.

6. Mar 4, 2006 #5
    Thanks guys I got it. Astronuc thanks for your input because the suggestions you made where quite right :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?