Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the most reactive elements in the periodic table?

1. Oct 17, 2014 #1
    What are the most reactive elements in the periodic table?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2014 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

What do you think they might be and why?

4. Oct 30, 2014 #3
    Alkali metals

5. Oct 31, 2014 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

First - we don't give final answers, that's part of the forum rules.

Second, this is not a correct answer (although it is part of it).

6. Nov 1, 2014 #5
    I would think that they would be flourine and perhaps the alkali metals. Certainly most people would agree with fluorine?

7. Nov 1, 2014 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

I take it you didn't read the post directly above yours?

8. Nov 1, 2014 #7
    An elements reactivity is dependent on wether or not the electrons in it's outermost shell are filled to their maximum capacity. The alkali metals are the most reactive of all the groups. In this group, two elements react with oxygen(Sodium and Potassium). These two elements also react with water and we know that oxygen and water are very common elements here on earth. I believe this qaulifies them as "the most reactive elements".

Edit: Another comment had mentioned Fluorine wich is also highly reactive. I pulled this from the wiki.

Fluorine is a chemical element with symbol F and atomic number 9. It is the lightest halogen and exists as a highly toxic pale yellow diatomic gas at standard conditions. As the most electronegative element, it is extremely reactive: almost all other elements, including some noble gases, form compounds with fluorine.

So obviously if it forms compounds with almost all other elements (even noble gases, wich are relatively stable) it is probably "The most reactive element".

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook