What Are the Positive Rational Solutions to x^y = y^x?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ehrenfest
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Positive Rational
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
ehrenfest
Messages
2,001
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Determine all positive rational solutions of x^y=y^x.

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution


Obviously, x=y will always work. I think that is the only solution. If I can show that x^y must be rational, I think it will be easy because then both x and y must have the same primes in the numerator and the denominator. I tried writing out x=r/s, y = t/u, and manipulating, which leads to
[tex]r^{ts} u^{ru} = s^{ts} t^{ru}[/tex]
which is really not helpful.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ehrenfest said:

Homework Statement


Determine all positive rational solutions of x^y=y^x.

The Attempt at a Solution


Obviously, x=y will always work. I think that is the only solution...

How about x = 2 , y = 4 ?
 
Hmmm. Maybe that is the only exception. But can we prove that we have found them all...
 
This has been discussed in these forums a few times before, but I can't seem to find the threads. I did find this however.