What are the possible values of a for which (5a - 3:7a^2 - a + 1) = 1?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kezman
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Maximum
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 6K views
kezman
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
Find all a(integers) that [tex](5a - 3:7a^2 - a + 1) = 1[/tex]

I only know that

[tex]d|7a^2 - a + 1[/tex]
[tex]d|5a - 3[/tex]
 
Physics news on Phys.org
what is the meaning of "putting the 2 functions in the parathesis separated by the colon" ??
 
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you asking for which values of a are the polynomials (5a - 3) and (7a^2 - a + 1) relatively prime? (5a - 3 : 7a^2 - a + 1) = 1 is what you have written. That doesn't quite mesh with your thread title so I'm a little lost. For example, where did "d" come from?
 
How do you normally find GCDs? The Euclidean algorithm, right? Have you tried it here?
 
If (a:b) = 1 then a and b are co-prime
Also (a:b) = c then c|a and c|b
and exists d so that d|a , d|b and d|c
thats the d I try to use.