Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I What are the practical limits of constructive interference?

1. Jun 19, 2017 #1
    The "wireless power" thread made me think of this, but I have pondered it before when it comes to microphone arrays etc
    You can easily find documentation on the interference patterns N in-line sources of waves generate. E.g.

maxresdefault.jpg

The annoying thing here is that you have infinitely extending lobes, which would be undesirable for something that tries to pinpoint delivery of (acoustic/EM) energy.
    It would seem to me that for example a source arrangement in a triangle would allow some spatially constrained Maxima inside it; but are there simple rules of thumb for this type of thing that constrain the patterns? I can imagine that with a complete ring of sources you could probably reverse engineer any pattern with a Fourier analysis, but that's also overkill on the other end.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2017 #2

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Jun 19, 2017 #3

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is a consequence of Diffraction. To direct energy in a specified direction with a certain required beam width you need an extended source. The narrower the required beam θ, the wider the necessary Aperture, d. (roughly θ = λ/2d) There are techniques for doing a bit better than the diffraction limit with 'Supergain Arrays' but there is not a lot of juice in that lemon. This is one of the reasons why Radiotelescopes are so enormous.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted