What Are the Relations Among Field Automorphisms in Galois Theory?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kate2010
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Relations Theory
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Kate2010
Messages
134
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Let L = Q(t) be the field of rational functions with one variable over Q. Consider the field automorphisms of L defined by a : t -> 1 - t and b : t -> 1/t . Find the relations.

I will then be using this to find the size and abstract structure of the subgroup G of Aut(L) generated by a and b. But for now, my question is what does it mean by find the relations?

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



The only relations I can think of are equivalence relations. All I have managed to do with these automorphisms is work out a^2 = id and b^2 = id.
 
Physics news on Phys.org