What are the statistics of probability of dying today vs age?

In summary, the actuarial table provides life expectancy and the probability of death on a given day for a specific age range.
iVenky
I don't intend to sound macabre, but I was having this thought if I have to quantify the probability of someone dying given his age (in days) how would I go about quantifying that with a minimal accuracy (ok if it's not accurate but I just need some number with days). Has anyone ever worked out this mathematical problem? What's the distribution it follows? Is it like exponential distribution?

Physics news on Phys.org
Look for some actuarial tables. This is a routine calculation for the insurance industry.

Im sure right now though those tables are influx die to Covid deaths.

Likes Vanadium 50
jedishrfu said:
Look for some actuarial tables. This is a routine calculation for the insurance industry.

Im sure right now though those tables are influx die to Covid deaths.
Thanks for the reply. That's useful information that I didn't know before. I understand there are several factors affecting this, just curious to get an estimate. I see that the actuarial table gives the life expectancy. Do they also provide the probability of dying on a given day with age?

iVenky said:
I don't intend to sound macabre, but I was having this thought if I have to quantify the probability of someone dying given his age (in days) how would I go about quantifying that with a minimal accuracy (ok if it's not accurate but I just need some number with days). Has anyone ever worked out this mathematical problem? What's the distribution it follows? Is it like exponential distribution?
It is definitely not an exponential distribution. An exponential distribution would be for a system like a radioactive particle that has a uniform chance of "dying" as time passes. It doesn't get older or younger so the probability doesn't change, it is always constant.

For human death and also for machinery mechanical failure the distribution is sometimes called a "bathtub" curve. There is a high risk of death/failure in the infant/break-in phase, that risk decreases to a fairly constant risk during the normal lifetime phase and then the risk of death/failure increases as the person/part reaches the end of its normal lifespan.

Likes russ_watters and jedishrfu
iVenky said:
It also depends what other information you have about the person. Most 40-year-olds, say, who die tomorrow will already be seriously ill. The residual risk from sudden death will be much lower.

Likewise, the risk of dying during the next year will depend on long-term health factors.

If you are looking at it for yourself, then whether you take these personal factors into account or not may make a huge difference to the answer you come up with.

This has a column of the probability of death at a particular age and the expected remaining lifespan.

• Informative
Likes DrClaude, OmCheeto and PeroK
FactChecker said:
This has a column of the probability of death at a particular age and the expected remaining lifespan.
By the time you get to 110 the outlook is a bit bleak!

Likes jim mcnamara and FactChecker
PeroK said:
By the time you get to 110 the outlook is a bit bleak!
You still have over 40% chance of living a year or more. I like the 119 row: of the zero people living this long, 10% will live another year:-p

• Haha
Likes FactChecker
FactChecker said:

Thanks. This looks exponential. Is that right?

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
iVenky said:
Not remotely exponential. It validates @Dale ’s claim of a bathtub distribution. The minimum chance of dying in the next year occurs for a 10 year old. Further, not until past 50 is the chance of dying in the next year greater than it is at birth.

Last edited:
Likes Dale
iVenky said:
No, for an exponential distribution the Death Probability column would be constant.

Likes PeroK
I'm using guessed numbers for demonstration.

If, say, 70% of births are alive at age 80, and 69% of births are alive at 81, then your chance of dying between 80 and 81 is 1 in 70.

If you assume the chance is equal throughout the year, then your chance of dying on a given day is 1 in 70 x 365.

You can get a better approximation by assuming that deaths are skewed towards the older people so assume a linearly increasing death rate throughout the year. For an even better approximation, fit a curve to deaths by age and calculate the chance from it.

Frodo said:
If, say, 70% of births are alive at age 80, and 69% of births are alive at 81, then your chance of dying between 80 and 81 is 1 in 70.
Why guess? From the tables posted earlier in this thread: if you live to 80, then the chance of dying before you reach 81 is about 4-6%, depending on whether you are male or female.

PeroK

I was showing the method to use.

There are no single "correct values", not even in the table you cite. The numbers will vary from country to country - Chad no doubt has worse death rates than Sweden but the method is the same for both.

I think you are, as is so often the case in this forum, US isolationist and US centric - the figures are for the US. Even so, I expect they will vary from state to state and among different indigenous groups for example.

There is a whole other world out there for you to discover when you remove your blinkers.

Frodo said:
I think you are, as is so often the case in this forum, US isolationist and US centric - the figures are for the US.

There is a whole other world out there for you to discover when you remove your blinkers.
I'm from Scotland and live in London, actually.

PeroK said:
I'm from Scotland
In which case you should know that male life expectancy in the Gorbals is a mere 54, significantly lower than Iraq (67.5) and North Korea (71.4).

For laughs, the oldest known mortality table is from the reign of Justinian, as it was for annuities it did not incorporate high premodern childhood mortality (and also was biased in that presumably only relatively wealthy people with access to the full benefits of 3rd century medicine and a decent diet would ever get an annuity). Life expectancy for a 35 year old was 20 years

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulpian's_life_table

Likes Klystron and PeroK
Frodo said:
There are no single "correct values", not even in the table you cite. The numbers will vary from country to country - Chad no doubt has worse death rates than Sweden but the method is the same for both.

I think you are, as is so often the case in this forum, US isolationist and US centric - the figures are for the US. Even so, I expect they will vary from state to state and among different indigenous groups for example.

This is a bit of an overreaction. Please don't bring politics into this thread. If you don't like the US data then post whatever data you do like: contribute rather than complain. There is no need to bring in "US isolationist and US centric" comments in a non-political thread like this.

@all further political commentary will be deleted. This is a technical forum, not the GD forum.

Dale said:
No, for an exponential distribution the Death Probability column would be constant.
Is there a name for it when the probability of dying is linear(ish) when plotted on a log scale?
At least, when ignoring the bathtub part, that is.

log10 (probability of dying).2020-12-10 at 8.27.00 AM.png

Coincidentally, back in August, I downloaded the file that @FactChecker referenced yesterday. Mostly in an effort to get a better understanding of all the deaths of old people during our pandemic. Hence, my ready made graphic(s).

PAllen said:
You still have over 40% chance of living a year or more. I like the 119 row: of the zero people living this long, 10% will live another year:-p

One of the graphs I made back in August prompted me to ask myself the question: "How do they define life expectancy?"

87.year.olds.2020-12-10 at 9.03.25 AM.png

If 87 is the most popular age to die, then that should be how we define life expectancy, right?

It wouldn't be until yesterday that I put in the effort to figure it out.
I would explain how it's done, but it's too complicated at this time of the morning.

Anyways, the reason I bring this up, is that at age 118, my maths gets a bit buggy, and says that you should have died last year.

118.year.olds.2020-12-10 at 9.12.49 AM.png

Not sure I've ever seen maths be rude before.

Likes Dale
There are two definitions of life expectancy -- the cohort and the period life expectancy. Both are means, which is an average. The most popular age to die is the mode, not the mean. The difference is that if a small number of people live a very long time, they change the mean but not the mode.

PAllen said:
Not remotely exponential. It validates @Dale ’s claim of a bathtub distribution. The minimum chance of dying in the next year occurs for a 10 year old. Further, not until past 50 is the chance of dying in the next year greater than it is at birth.
Ah, I missed the small values near Age 0 when I plotted the data on excel. Got it. Thanks!

1. What is the overall probability of dying today?

The overall probability of dying today, also known as the crude death rate, varies depending on factors such as location, age, and health status. According to the World Health Organization, the global crude death rate in 2016 was approximately 7.8 deaths per 1000 people.

2. How does age affect the probability of dying today?

The probability of dying today increases with age. This is due to the natural aging process and the accumulation of health risks and diseases. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the death rate for individuals aged 65-74 is 8 times higher than those aged 25-34.

3. What are the leading causes of death at different ages?

The leading causes of death vary at different ages. For infants and children, the main causes are congenital anomalies, preterm birth complications, and pneumonia. For adults, heart disease, cancer, and respiratory diseases are the leading causes. For older adults, heart disease, cancer, and Alzheimer's disease are the top causes.

4. How do lifestyle choices impact the probability of dying today?

Lifestyle choices such as smoking, excessive alcohol consumption, and poor diet can increase the probability of dying today. These behaviors can lead to chronic diseases such as heart disease, cancer, and diabetes, which are major causes of death globally.

5. What are some factors that can affect the accuracy of mortality statistics?

The accuracy of mortality statistics can be affected by various factors, including incomplete or incorrect reporting of deaths, differences in data collection methods, and variations in the definition and classification of causes of death. Additionally, demographic and socioeconomic factors can also impact mortality statistics, such as access to healthcare and education levels.