What Are The Top Five Inventions?

• Thread starter omin
  • Start date
Gokul43201 said:
I recall arguing that the knife was probably a more "useful" invention than mathematics. I don't believe there was a specially warm response to that idea. This was over at the Gen Math Forum !
You can't sheer or butcher a sheep with a Lorentz Contraction equation. This is why early Homo Mathematicus died out, hungry, cold and naked.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
y keyoard's roken...i'll resond later

Gokul43201 said:
No I don't think they're nearly as useful as the others in your list...and another reason that I''ll save for if you raise a certain point.
I included them on the basis that pounding tools were probably the very first tools, which I base on the fact that present day great apes use them to open nuts and crack open dead logs for the grubs. In addition to their use in getting to food, they were probably the first weapons (a la 2001: A Space Odyssey) whereby we killed enemies and dangerous beasts. I included them because there was a huge amount of time in our development when the club and the rock were the only game in town when it comes to "inventions". I put them at #2 because they're a little too obvious to merit placement above cutting tools, which, as far as we know, were the first skilled inventions. Stone flaking is really quite difficult and takes a while to learn.

zoobyshoe said:
I included them on the basis that pounding tools were probably the very first tools, which I base on the fact that present day great apes use them to open nuts and crack open dead logs for the grubs. In addition to their use in getting to food, they were probably the first weapons (a la 2001: A Space Odyssey) whereby we killed enemies and dangerous beasts. I included them because there was a huge amount of time in our development when the club and the rock were the only game in town when it comes to "inventions". I put them at #2 because they're a little too obvious to merit placement above cutting tools, which, as far as we know, were the first skilled inventions. Stone flaking is really quite difficult and takes a while to learn.
And also requires a pounding tool to do. :smile:

Artman said:
And also requires a pounding tool to do. :smile:
Actually you're right. The creation of the first cutting tools required the skilled use of the pounding tool!
I should have made it #1.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Evo said:
portable hair dryer

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Girls... :rolleyes:

jimmy p
Gold Member
Ivan Seeking said:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: I bought one of those for Tsu and she looked at me like I had given her a set of wrenches
I'd be pretty pleased with a set of wrenches, and which red-blooded male wouldnt?? Useful to wrench things and to club people. The perfect gift for me. :biggrin: