What Are the Two Angles for a Fire Hose to Reach 2.0 Meters?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
MIA6
Messages
231
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A fire hose held near the ground shoots water at a speed of 6.8 m/s. At what angle(s) should the nozzle point in order that the water land 2.0 m away? Why are there two different angles?

The Attempt at a Solution


First, I don't know why there would be two angles. I only found the formula, but I don't know how to solve the angle out. I found t=2* 6.8sinangle/9.81(I don't know how to use the angle symbol) dx=vix*t, 2=6.8cosangle*2*6.8sinangle/9.81. How to find the angle?

Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I found t=2* 6.8sin(angle)/ 9.81. dx=vix*t, 2=6.8cos(angle)*2*6.8sin(angle)/9.81. How to find the angle? I rewrite it because I just want to make sure you understand what I am talking about. Really hope someone can help me! thanks.