What are these types of diode circuits?

In summary, the conversation discussed two circuits involving diode bridges and their corresponding waveforms. The first circuit was identified as a dual rail unregulated power supply, while the second circuit was determined to be a single rail unregulated power supply with battery backup. The waveform for the second circuit without the battery and diode was suggested to be a full wave rectified sine wave with a peak of 13.44V. The conversation also explored the behavior of the voltage output (Vo) in different scenarios, such as disconnecting the AC mains and the presence of AC between the peaks.
servehover

Homework Statement

For each of the circuits, draw the waveform. The voltage drop across each diode is 0.7V
upload_2016-10-12_0-38-8.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that both of these are using diode bridges, but is there a specific name for these circuits?
I think the waveform for Vo1 and Vo2 are rectified sine waves with peaks of 5.6 and -5.6, respectively. (at least that's what my notes say)
I have no idea where to start with #2 though.
Any hints/help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Suitable names would be..

1) dual rail unregulated power supply
2) single rail unregulated power supply with battery backup.

servehover said:
I have no idea where to start with #2 though.

Try deleting the battery and diode temporarily. What would the Vo waveform look like then?

What happens if you apply that waveform to a circuit containing just the diode and battery. Is the diode forward or reverse biased?

What happens to Vo if you disconnect the AC mains? What happens to Vo "between the peaks" when AC is present?

CWatters said:
Suitable names would be..

1) dual rail unregulated power supply
2) single rail unregulated power supply with battery backup.
Try deleting the battery and diode temporarily. What would the Vo waveform look like then?

What happens if you apply that waveform to a circuit containing just the diode and battery. Is the diode forward or reverse biased?

What happens to Vo if you disconnect the AC mains? What happens to Vo "between the peaks" when AC is present?
Is my assumption with #1 correct?
Would the waveform for #2 without battery/diode simply be a full wave rectified sine wave with a peak of 13.44V?

Both correct so far.

I haven't checked your conversion from rms to peak voltage yet.

Last edited:

1. What is a diode circuit?

A diode circuit is a type of electronic circuit that uses diodes as its main components. Diodes are semiconductor devices that allow electric current to flow in one direction while blocking it in the opposite direction.

2. What are the types of diode circuits?

There are several types of diode circuits, including rectifier circuits, clipping circuits, clamping circuits, and voltage regulator circuits. Each type serves a specific purpose and has its own unique configuration.

3. What is the function of a rectifier circuit?

A rectifier circuit is used to convert alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC). It contains one or more diodes that only allow current to flow in one direction, resulting in a pulsating DC output.

4. How does a clipping circuit work?

A clipping circuit limits the output voltage to a certain level by cutting off the peaks of an input signal. This is achieved by placing a diode in series with the load and allowing current to flow only when the input signal exceeds a certain threshold.

5. What is the purpose of a voltage regulator circuit?

A voltage regulator circuit is used to maintain a stable output voltage regardless of changes in input voltage or load. It typically consists of a diode, resistor, and capacitor, and is commonly used in power supplies and electronic devices to ensure a constant and reliable power source.