Other What are you reading now? (STEM only)

• Thread starter Demystifier
  • Start date
  • Featured

Demystifier

Science Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
What book are you reading now, or have been reading recently? Only STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) books are counted.

DrClaude

Mentor
D. J. Tritton, Physical Fluid Dynamics. I never formally learned this topic, but I now need it for my teaching. I really like the way the book is structured, starting with phenomenology before delving into the equations.

Demystifier

Science Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Recently I was reading J. MacCormick, Nine Algorithms That Changed the Future
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0691158193/?tag=pfamazon01-20
Some of the most widely used computer algorithms explained in a simple non-technical way. Very readable.

DrClaude

Mentor
Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
Gold Member
Computational Electromagnetics for RF and Microwave Engineering, David Davidson

vanhees71

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
This semester, I've to create problems for a GR/cosmology lecture. So I'm right now reading a bit in the literature. Whenever there's something unclear, I turn (of course) to

S. Weinberg, Gravitation and Kosmologie, Wiley&Sons, Inc., New York, London, Sydney, Toronto, 1972.

jasonRF

Science Advisor
Gold Member
D. J. Tritton, Physical Fluid Dynamics. I never formally learned this topic, but I now need it for my teaching. I really like the way the book is structured, starting with phenomenology before delving into the equations.
I like this book for the same reason, along with the experimental results that are included throughout the book. Was easy to read as a student - much nicer than Landau and Lifshitz, the other book we used for the class.

jasonRF

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I've been reading "Mathematics for the physical sciences" by Laurent Schwartz, mostly to see how he presents distribution theory for an audience of non-mathematicians.

martinbn

Science Advisor
I am reading "Perfect Rigour" - Masha Gessen, I don't know if that counts.

This semester, I've to create problems for a GR/cosmology lecture. So I'm right now reading a bit in the literature. Whenever there's something unclear, I turn (of course) to

S. Weinberg, Gravitation and Kosmologie, Wiley&Sons, Inc., New York, London, Sydney, Toronto, 1972.
If I had to make a list of books on this topic I would put that at the end. No, in fact I will not put it in the list.

I am reading Zee's Gravitation. I am going really slow as I find it is a relatively hard book to read but it is very rewarding.... What I am really enjoying though is the video series on Mathematical Physics by Prof. Balakrishnan. I am also reading a bit on AP calculus topics (more like getting familiar with) as I will soon have to teach my daughter.

I am now reading https://www.amazon.com/dp/3642372759/?tag=pfamazon01-20.
I consider it a really amazing textbook on the subject. If I remember well, Leonard Susskind somewhere in his Modern Physics Special Relativity lectures remarked that SR can be learnt within days. This book doesn't support this opinion. Looks like I'm definitely not in Susskind's league :-)

atyy

Science Advisor
I've been reading the 2nd edition of Sutton and Barto's Reinforcement Learning, trying to learn how the biology and machine learning ideas are related.

FactChecker

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
Explorations in Mathematical Physics by Don Koks. I want to see physics math done from a geometric algebra point of view. (But I am afraid that the physics will be too tough for me.)

I'm preparing for uni in September by working through Newtonian Mechanics by French, and reviewing calculus from Lang/Kline. Occasionally I'll reference HRW if I find myself struggling with a problem.

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member
I am reading Jackson's ED 3rd edition, Aitchinson's and Hey's Gauge book latest edition, also Peskin's, Brown's, Ryder's and Zuber's books and Ashcroft's book accompanied with a problem book by Han on Solid state physics.

A few months ago (November,December a bit of january), I was also reading books of Munkres on Analysis on Manifolds and a book on representation of finite groups by Liebeck's and Gordon's; I should really return to these book someday.

I'm working through the new 5th edition (2016) of Gilbert Strang's https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/0980232775/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I like Strang because he puts a lot of effort into showing you how to think of the subject on an intuitive level.

Also, I stumbled across this little gem... Kuldeep Singh's https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/0199654441/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I find it a great, light book for very quickly building up intuition and the big picture. Much of the book is devoted to Question/Answer dialog as if you were conversing with a prof and it has many fully solved problems. Sometimes I find it light enough that I just skim some pages but that's perfect because there are plenty of other books that are tough slogging. I could see folks who are self studying, finding this book very appealing as an appetizer before taking on something more meaty like Friedman or Treil.

Explorations in Mathematical Physics by Don Koks. I want to see physics math done from a geometric algebra point of view. (But I am afraid that the physics will be too tough for me.)
I have this book/ Looks great. Been meaning to read it for a while now...so much to read and so little time.

I was reading Shankar Quantum Mechanics but I had to take it back to the library.
Now I am browsing Whittaker, Analytical Dynamics, and also Torge, Geodesy.