1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Other What are you reading now? (STEM only)

1. Apr 28, 2017 #1

Demystifier

Science Advisor

What book are you reading now, or have been reading recently? Only STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) books are counted.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2017 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

D. J. Tritton, Physical Fluid Dynamics. I never formally learned this topic, but I now need it for my teaching. I really like the way the book is structured, starting with phenomenology before delving into the equations.

4. Apr 28, 2017 #3

Demystifier

Science Advisor

5. Apr 28, 2017 #4

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  6. Apr 28, 2017 #5

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Computational Electromagnetics for RF and Microwave Engineering, David Davidson

7. Apr 28, 2017 #6

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

This semester, I've to create problems for a GR/cosmology lecture. So I'm right now reading a bit in the literature. Whenever there's something unclear, I turn (of course) to

S. Weinberg, Gravitation and Kosmologie, Wiley&Sons, Inc., New York, London, Sydney, Toronto, 1972.

8. Apr 28, 2017 #7

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I like this book for the same reason, along with the experimental results that are included throughout the book. Was easy to read as a student - much nicer than Landau and Lifshitz, the other book we used for the class.

9. Apr 28, 2017 #8

jasonRF

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've been reading "Mathematics for the physical sciences" by Laurent Schwartz, mostly to see how he presents distribution theory for an audience of non-mathematicians.

10. Apr 28, 2017 #9
    Tom M. Apostol, Calculus I, II. I never had a chance to study rigorous Calculus, so back to the basics!

11. Apr 28, 2017 #10

martinbn

Science Advisor

I am reading "Perfect Rigour" - Masha Gessen, I don't know if that counts.

If I had to make a list of books on this topic I would put that at the end. No, in fact I will not put it in the list.

12. Apr 28, 2017 #11
    I am reading Zee's Gravitation. I am going really slow as I find it is a relatively hard book to read but it is very rewarding.... What I am really enjoying though is the video series on Mathematical Physics by Prof. Balakrishnan. I am also reading a bit on AP calculus topics (more like getting familiar with) as I will soon have to teach my daughter.

13. Apr 29, 2017 #12
    Rereading MTW Gravitation. Much prefer this canonical geometric GR approach to Weinberg's book which I read about a year ago.

14. Apr 29, 2017 #13
  15. Apr 29, 2017 #14

atyy

Science Advisor

I've been reading the 2nd edition of Sutton and Barto's Reinforcement Learning, trying to learn how the biology and machine learning ideas are related.

16. Apr 29, 2017 #15

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Explorations in Mathematical Physics by Don Koks. I want to see physics math done from a geometric algebra point of view. (But I am afraid that the physics will be too tough for me.)

17. Apr 29, 2017 #16
    I'm preparing for uni in September by working through Newtonian Mechanics by French, and reviewing calculus from Lang/Kline. Occasionally I'll reference HRW if I find myself struggling with a problem.

18. Apr 29, 2017 #17

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

I am reading Jackson's ED 3rd edition, Aitchinson's and Hey's Gauge book latest edition, also Peskin's, Brown's, Ryder's and Zuber's books and Ashcroft's book accompanied with a problem book by Han on Solid state physics.

A few months ago (November,December a bit of january), I was also reading books of Munkres on Analysis on Manifolds and a book on representation of finite groups by Liebeck's and Gordon's; I should really return to these book someday.

19. Apr 29, 2017 #18

ibkev

Gold Member

I'm working through the new 5th edition (2016) of Gilbert Strang's https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/0980232775/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I like Strang because he puts a lot of effort into showing you how to think of the subject on an intuitive level.

Also, I stumbled across this little gem... Kuldeep Singh's https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/0199654441/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I find it a great, light book for very quickly building up intuition and the big picture. Much of the book is devoted to Question/Answer dialog as if you were conversing with a prof and it has many fully solved problems. Sometimes I find it light enough that I just skim some pages but that's perfect because there are plenty of other books that are tough slogging. I could see folks who are self studying, finding this book very appealing as an appetizer before taking on something more meaty like Friedman or Treil.

20. Apr 29, 2017 #19
    I have this book/ Looks great. Been meaning to read it for a while now...so much to read and so little time.

21. Apr 30, 2017 #20
    I was reading Shankar Quantum Mechanics but I had to take it back to the library.
    Now I am browsing Whittaker, Analytical Dynamics, and also Torge, Geodesy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted